Sent another motor to the graveyard. GO-PRO

yzingerslinger

Established Member
I participated in a local race here in Tulsa (Mods vs Rods) and this was the first pass ever in this car for me.

I did some modifications to my go pro where i could wire up an external mic and put it right next to the Eaton. 20141011_141342.jpeg 20141011_150623.jpeg

It worked great and thats how I was able to hear the catastrophe unfold , Inside the car it just died and wasnt making much noise at all, As soon as it lost power I went to neutral and coasted to the end.

Once i popped the hood i noticed all the belts had hopped off the pulleys, and when i went to reinstall the 8 rib setup I could wobble the crank pulley side to side by hand ! Im assuming the 6# lower went out of balance and it snapped the front end of the crankshaft... Im hoping for the best but most likely looking at rebuilding an entire long block.

Its sad to post a video like this but its time to come back and make it stronger and faster.

[video=youtube;CXtOBHxl8o8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CXtOBHxl8o8[/video]

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
ouch, that did not sound good.

yzingerslinger

Established Member
ouch, that did not sound good.

It hurts to listen to it. luckily the mic picked up all the noise from the engine bay. If the front of the crank snapped and the timing chains werent turning im looking at some major damage :( I just built a motor for a cobra like 7 months ago and tossed it in a flip car ! wish I still had that motor

yzingerslinger

Established Member
Ouch, that thing was making some serious power on a ported blower as I see from your sig.

Thanks man, yeah its those MMR pistons pushing that compression up towards 11:1 on E-85. Its a freight train on some E-98. If the pistons are toast I plan on replacing the MMR 2500s and doing a ported head setup. If its going to be down all winter I might as well spend the money on a good setup.

gabe1530

Banned
Damn that's making some good power with e85 and an eaton.
I have an oem crank for sale if your interested.

Palmer

Established Member
We both had a rough day ! glad your car made it safe

Yeah I got very lucky I kept my car off the wall. I never want to go on a ride like that again. Good luck with the build. I bet that car will be even more of a monster when you get done with it.

musclefan21

Established Member
It sucks, i m sorry...but you should ve pulled off to the side immediately to not spill anything to the track, or minimize it. If you spilled anything, you made the track dangerous to the guy behind you as i dont think people knew you broke...

Palmer

Established Member
It sucks, i m sorry...but you should ve pulled off to the side immediately to not spill anything to the track, or minimize it. If you spilled anything, you made the track dangerous to the guy behind you as i dont think people knew you broke...

It's funny you say that because I ran right before him and the car that went before me lost some transmission fluid just before the 1/4 mark and nobody knew it. I caught it going 115+mph and lost control of my car. I went through the traps sliding sideways through both lanes and somehow managed to keep my car off the walls. It was probably the scariest moment I've ever experienced in a vehicle.

yzingerslinger

Established Member
Nothing spilled out from the motor luckily. Everything is Still intact at the time. Only fluid on the track was from Palmer pissing his pants almost hitting the walls

Users who are viewing this thread