Seperate rims/drag tires for track

ArabianOak

Established Member
I am looking to buy some seperate rims and tires for the track...

what is cheap (for rims) and fit directly on my base model? (stockers are 18's). just looking for something will fit nicely without any modification.

thanks

BlackMamba3

Established Member
1. I personally don't like when people skimp on track wheels/tires. Spend the extra money and purchase items that will hold up to high amounts of stress.

2. MY choice would be the Boss 302R wheels. Strong and lightweight but a little pricey.

3. Again, MY choice for track tires would be either Hoosier R6's or Nitto NT01's.

ArabianOak

Established Member
1. I personally don't like when people skimp on track wheels/tires. Spend the extra money and purchase items that will hold up to high amounts of stress.

2. MY choice would be the Boss 302R wheels. Strong and lightweight but a little pricey.

3. Again, MY choice for track tires would be either Hoosier R6's or Nitto NT01's.

when i say cheap i mean I don't need chrome rims...just the basic shit. lol.

I have always used MT DR's...the hoosiers are always on my list as well. are the boss rims 19's?

nocobrafornow

Established Member
it really depends on what you want. i think you would do best buy buying a 15/8 rim like racestar or even a drag lit if you want light and relatively cheap and you don't need the relocation brakets and you have a large selection of slicks, dr's or street slicks like ET streets. to me it doesn't make sence to buy seperate rims and tires to put 17 or 18" dr's unless you buy a 295/55 but then thats an expensive tire. but this is my opinion. David

BlackMamba3

Established Member
The 302R rims aren't chrome. They're expensive because they're Ford Racing rims and also because of their weight and size. 18"x10" is a big wheel.

Another option is the TSW Nurburgring's. Cheaper than the 302R's and are also very lightweight. Comes in 3 different finishes and numerous sizes.

TSW Alloy Wheels | The Nurburgring in gunmetal and matte bronze| www.TSW.com

Also, are you looking for drag racing wheels/tires or for road racing? You didn't specify.

wbt

Banned
I am guessing this is for drag racing.

Weld RT-S and never look back for rims. Is your car an auto or manual? That will determine the proper tire to use.

wbt

Banned
Drag racing only....car is a manual.

Gotcha.

I recommend getting the wheels and tires here:

Jim's Racing Tires & Speed Equipment

I have spoken with Jim personally as-well-as his son. Great folks, very down to Earth, have fantastic prices and will get you taken care of.

17x4 in the front
15x10 in the rear

Rear tire: 28.0/10.0-15

Front tire: 185/55/17 tires

You will need a sway bar relo. kit for the 10" rim:
View the S197 Mustang Rear Swaybar Relocation Brackets at http://www.cheperformance.com

Since you have a manual a bias ply tire is the recommended way to go vs. a radial. Give them a ring and they will get you squared away.

texaswrx

Established Member
What options are there for an auto car with the premium 19"s? I was hoping to just swap out the rears, but it seems there are really no choices.

Users who are viewing this thread