Serious buyer for my truck (04 for $17,000) should I let her go?

emig5m

Hear it WHINE!
Established Member
I dunno, now that I have a serious buyer with cash in hand that wants to come as soon as Friday night I am really not feeling comfortable with letting it go although in the back of my mind I know it's getting older and lesser value everyday not to mention I don't even drive it anymore. Whew that was a long sentence, lol. I look at the used section and see what people are struggling to get and I should be happy to get a firm 17 grand when a couple people near me are trying to getting from me for 10 grand (never happen, I'd burn it to the ground before giving it away) but I dunno... I've literally never owned any vehicle this long before and the time when it was at the dealer for some service looking out the kitchen window the driveway just looked weird without it sitting out there, lol.

Should I just say **** it and jump on the 17k and be happy I was able to get 17k for it while I can? Here's where the plot thickens....lol... My plan is to jump out of the V6 Camaro and into the loaded V8... That's why I need the money... I just hate being without a truck for picking up larger items and also have a Seadoo that I need something to tow it with and I hate the idea of driving some old dirty ratty cheap beater truck...

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
How many miles are on your truck?

Honestly, the best way to get ahead in the buying/selling business is to buy and sell situation-ally (made up word). Everything I own is for sale. If someone walks up to me and offers more than what I value it to be, it's theirs and I'll buy something else.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Depending on the miles 17k sounds like a good deal to me. You said you dont want a beater truck, you like being able to haul bigger things including your seadoo. Sounds like you should just keep it to me if thats how you truly feel.

emig5m

Hear it WHINE!
Established Member
I currently have 71,000 miles on it. Yea I know... I had to daily drive it for a few years. The one the people where looking at before mine was an 03 with 92,000 miles for 15k (dealer) and said that the the clear coat was peeling and rear diff was leaking. Yea, my neighbors and friends laugh when I'm always washing and waxing but my paint is mint except for one scratch on the fender.....

Ultimate_Detailer_Wipe_Down.jpg

^Never been garaged, lol. :banana:

Depending on the miles 17k sounds like a good deal to me. You said you dont want a beater truck, you like being able to haul bigger things including your seadoo. Sounds like you should just keep it to me if thats how you truly feel.

Yea... Probably just going to keep it but I'm going to think long and hard between now and Friday.... We'll see.

oneofeach

Established Member
I get attached to things and don't like selling them. If I like them, they're mine. I have an 87 Buick Grand National and there isn't enought cash around to take it out of my garage. I feel the same way about my Lightning -where I'm I going to get a truck as unique, fun, and useful as this one?

I would not sell it.

leo2hot4tv

Established Member
I get attached to things and don't like selling them. If I like them, they're mine. I have an 87 Buick Grand National and there isn't enought cash around to take it out of my garage. I feel the same way about my Lightning -where I'm I going to get a truck as unique, fun, and useful as this one?

I would not sell it.

Lol, I'm the same way.

OP, do you have any mods on it? You could flip and get another L immediately for less money. You won't know how well it was treated though, and if you have mods on the current L you'll probably have to burn the rest of the money just to get it up to speed. Just my .02.

emig5m

Hear it WHINE!
Established Member
Lol, I'm the same way.

OP, do you have any mods on it? You could flip and get another L immediately for less money. You won't know how well it was treated though, and if you have mods on the current L you'll probably have to burn the rest of the money just to get it up to speed. Just my .02.

Just an open air filter and Pioneer touch screen head unit otherwise 100% stock. I wouldn't bother flipping it for another L because I still have the window sticker and stuff like that, that you rarely find with a used Lightning. Not to mention it would be hard to find one in the condition and as well kept as mine. Even the plastic under the wheel wells is still like brand new. No rust on the rear leaf springs or anything... This sale would be 100% to put me into a brand new loaded 2SS V8 Camaro (which is my new obsession.)

Thing about buying a beater truck for my Seadoo and hauling larger items is that I'm not going to want to drive a ratty dirty used crappy vehicle and how much would it cost to buy something clean and then how much would I really have left over for a down payment for a new car? Would it even be worth it at that point? I might be better off waiting for the next gen Mustang and Camaro due around 2015 and saving cash on the side I think and see what the new offerings are instead of getting stuck with a generation on it's way out.... But just seeing the prices people are struggling to get for Lightnings these days 17k cash in hand is a tough decision! :eek: It's already Thursday and they don't even want to wait until Saturday, they want to come tomorrow night! :bash:

emig5m

Hear it WHINE!
Established Member
They're going to be calling tomorrow afternoon/evening and I don't know what I want to do.... :shrug: Someone make up my mind for me, lol...:poke:

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
They're going to be calling tomorrow afternoon/evening and I don't know what I want to do.... :shrug: Someone make up my mind for me, lol...:poke:

If you need something to haul your Sea Doo, what will you do without the truck? Will you get something that's sole purpose is to haul and beat up? Will you sell the Sea Doo?

For $17,000 I would sell it.

jwiles6186

I Hate Speed Bumps!
Established Member
For 17k, the fact you don't really drive her anymore, and the guy says he has the cash in hand I would sell.

Douger

Go BUCKEYES!
Established Member
I'd sell it. I'm looking to sell my 04 and it has onlt 40k miles on it. Right now I have a dealer willing to give me $17k for a trade-in which I am considering.

02SILVERBULLET

horsepower addict
Established Member
Everything is for sale... even though i love my truck, and it would take an offer over $40k for mine to go anywhere. Considering i have over 60k in it.

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
Wow, 17K....i guess they didnt do their homework...so yes, i would sell it. I've seen lower miles, built L's that run great for less. That mileage and year, i've seen them sell for 13-15K. I paid 12K for my 03 with about the same miles, almost all stock and prestine.

Redneckgearhead

Established Member
I gave 9500$ for mine with 84,000 miles an lfp stage one kit and k&n filter. Granted mine was a daily driver and was in fair shape.

INFAMOU$

The Infamous Project
Established Member
Sell it and buy another one with high miles for 7-8k and you still have something good to tow the sea-doo (although I would sell the sea doo and get a waverunner lol)... So you still have 10k in your pocket at the end of the day and a lightning!

Users who are viewing this thread