serious thread... career suggestions

nofire

Sooner#65
Established Member
If you want to make that money shortly after you get out of school, you don't want to be stuck in a cubicle, and you want to have a job waiting for you, I'd give avionics a look. The place I currently work requires either 4 years experience or an associates in electronics to start. Or some combination of experience/school (think an aircraft tech school with the avionics certificate and a year or 2 of experience.) It's a LOT easier than actual mechanical work, pays better, and they're ALWAYS in demand. Plus if you're willing to travel you can get jobs like mine where I'm a field tech. I go all over the world and bring in close to $170k a year. I have the potential to top out at $300k a year if I continue deploying. So It's definitely worth a look if nothing else.
Either way, I'd recommend doing a decent amount of research including talking to people actually in that field before committing to something. Good luck, man!

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
It's just about what you want to do, what you like to do and find interesting. Sounds like you might like something where you don't have to do too much problem solving \ in depth thinking. Nothing wrong with that and your salary goals aren't over ambitious. I'll be the first to say it - have you considered nursing? One of my best friends is a guy and is a nurse. He loves it, works 12hr shifts and spends probably 8hrs each night screwing around and the other 4 doing stuff he's done 100's of times and can do in his sleep. He makes probably 80k, works in a small regional hospital out in a rural area, lives about 1 mile from where he works. You said employment options are important to you - you get your BSN and you could go anywhere in the country and have a job making at least 50k in a week.

Last edited:

03 deadpool

Established Member
When i got out of the navy i took the classes at the local college and became a local sherrif i did that for 20 years retired now i blow stuff up at the local coal mine, and operate some heavy equipment.

greenstang1313

back in black
Established Member
thanks for all the suggestions, definitely some good ideas in here and some stuff I hadnt thought of. gonna start researching a few ideas.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Only you know what you have a passion for, so I can't pretend to give you a map for a career or a vocation, but being a little older than you I have come across people who have regretted their career decisions (or the situation that their career dictates) for one reason or another.

- Any job involving extensive travel (usually salespeople, but also vendors and related support people, trainers, etc.). Without exception, they all told me that the extensive travel was fun when younger, but when marriage/family kicked in, it was a strain, sometimes a debilitating one. Once the problems surface, they're in too deep/too vested and can't afford a pay cut to start another career.

- Any job involving heavy physical labor (construction, mechanics, etc.). Another job that when one is younger and the back is strong is satisfying and always in demand, but everyone slows down physically...everyone. A close acquaintance of mine does custom construction, he makes good money and has an outstanding reputation, but he tells me every time, my body's worn out. A family friend is an excellent mechanic, is an absolute Honda and Toyota wizard, but after umpteen years of bruised knuckles, wrenched back/shoulders, and another 15-20 years to go, he doesn't know if he can sustain it.

My recommendation - think long term in regards to the career and the collateral considerations (stability, commute, potential for advancement, stability (yes, twice), retirement, benefits, etc.). If you don't start making 60K off the bat, don't fret, think of the long-term considerations. Don't stare yourself blind on the money aspect; whatever job/career you consider, envision not only this week, but yourself in that situation 20 years down the road.

Good luck.

This is good stuff and very well stated. You need to post more often, the site needs more post from people like you to balance out all the garbage.

Planter

Banned
i would look at a career in industries that still operate in rough economic times but always have a demand for people.

medical, transportation, insurance are great places to start.

pho_phizzat

Dapper as ****
Established Member
How about getting into a trade.

Like the electrical or plumbing field. Go through their apprenticeships. Learn on the job and in the class room. You get to work with your hands and use your head at the same time. The IBEW has probably the best training around if you go into the electrical trade. You don't have to stay in the Union either you can leave whenever you would like. Just another thought for you.

only a gt

Established Member
Some good stuff here, I think someone already touched in this but how about a heavy equipment operator? If you don't mind working crazy hours every week, you could get into pipelining. Buddy of mine does that and pulls in some serious money, but he works nonstop 8-10 months out of the year and he travels all over. Another friend of mine went to school for commercial diving. He also makes very good money right out of school, but he will be offshore for a month or two at a time. What about flying helicopters? That's my plan, and if you enjoy flying I don't think you can beat it.

Users who are viewing this thread