"Service engine soon" wtf does that mean?

black 10th vert

Established Member
I really hope someone can steer me in the right direction on this because I'm really frustrated at this point. A couple of weeks ago I took my car for inspection and got rejected because all of the emissions related stuff came up as "not supported" or something like that. Anyway, now I have been flagged in the system and must report to some special state testing station. I was surprised to learn that all of the emission stuff had been turned off in my tune which really sucked because I went to great lengths to make sure that everything remained intact so that I wouldn't ever have issues in this commie state. So, I talked to Rick from Amazon and had him re-do my tune so everything would be turned back on. He said to put 50-100 miles on it to make sure the computer relearned everything. So I have been trying to do that over the past couple of days in between rain storms, but after getting to 26, or so miles the stupid "service engine soon" light came on and apparently that indicates some problem in the emission system. I figured that I could scan it with my Predator to find some code, but none showed! How am I supposed to know what's wrong when there are no codes? I obviously can't go to the testing center in this condition. I'm really hoping it didn't f up my O2 sensors because I drove it all last season without knowing they were turned off in the tune.:cuss:

GeorgiaSnake

Established Member
Not sure how Ford has that programmed but some all that is is a reminder to change the oild and the tech is supposed to put it out when finished. Its a pain in the ass reminder light to go spend money at times.

The snake

The only time I've ever seen that light come on is if there is an actual issue or if I've let the fuel go below the E marker and got on the car. Swing by Autozone and have them scan it. Its free. Something will come up.

MustangJim21

Established Member
You mentioned the rear O2 sensors being turned off in your car. What kind of exhaust system do you have? Do you have MIL eliminators?

SVTmystic290

Established Member
Bring the car to Pete at Performance Dyno in NH and he will get it to pass and it will be better than an internet tune. Just my .02

black 10th vert

Established Member
The only time I've ever seen that light come on is if there is an actual issue or if I've let the fuel go below the E marker and got on the car. Swing by Autozone and have them scan it. Its free. Something will come up.

I wish it was just low on fuel, but unfortunately it's not that simple for me. Thanks for that suggestion, I will run it by the zone to see if they can turn something up.

You mentioned the rear O2 sensors being turned off in your car. What kind of exhaust system do you have? Do you have MIL eliminators?

I have a full Bassani system with cats and all 4 o2 sensors, no mil eliminators. Just hoping that my sensors didn't get fouled by running all last season without knowing that they were turned off in my tune.:nonono:

Bring the car to Pete at Performance Dyno in NH and he will get it to pass and it will be better than an internet tune. Just my .02

I may have to go that route, but I'm trying to see if Rick can fix it for now just so I can get through this situation. The car runs super well, and I have no issues with the tune itself, other than the fact that he shut everything off without me knowing.

black 10th vert

Established Member
Not sure how Ford has that programmed but some all that is is a reminder to change the oild and the tech is supposed to put it out when finished. Its a pain in the ass reminder light to go spend money at times.

The snake

I wish it was just an oil change indicator, but according to the manual it indicates an emission system problem.

Comp281

Established Member
I had that light come on when I put an accufab throttle body on my car. The idle was 100-200rpm higher than normal until the computer re-calibrated and brought the idle down. The light turns off after 3 driving cycles without any issues - 3 cold to operating temp back to cold cycles. I have the bassani catted x and borla cat back with no mil eliminators and I'm light free. Any high idle issues recently?

Last edited:

black 10th vert

Established Member
I had that light come on when I put an accufab throttle body on my car. The idle was 100-200rpm higher than normal until the computer re-calibrated and brought the idle down. The light turns off after 3 driving cycles without any issues - 3 cold to operating temp back to cold cycles. I have the bassani catted x and borla cat back with no mil eliminators and I'm light free. Any high idle issues recently?

Thank you for sharing this. Yes, I have an Accufab with my Whipple and it generally idles around 1000-1100. I have gone through the procedures to try to get the idle lower, but it seems to settle there no matter what. Hopefully my light will go out like yours did. I haven't had a chance to drive it since noticing the light yesterday.

Comp281

Established Member
It takes a bunch of driving cycles to get the idle to rest at the right rpm. If it has been that way and it doesn't come down when you blip the throttle then you need to adjust it. I had that problem with my accufab and after some adjustments I was able to fix it. I have a dragon now. The idle would hang when I first got it but after a bunch of times taking the car out, it finally adjusted and the idle comes down now. My accufab would always stick and I had to blip the throttle when decelerating to avoid it hanging. Other than the throttle blip thing, I had no problem with the accufab once it was adjusted and the computer had time to compensate.

black 10th vert

Established Member
Yeah, I've been running it fr a couple of seasons now, and as I said, I did go through the procedure to set the TPS and re-set the computer, as well as having an additional spring on it. It is way better than it was, and really doesn't hang too much. It is usually high when I first start it (around 1500, or so), but then settles down to that 1k-1,100 range, and that seems to be where it wants to be no matter what I do with it. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to go through the procedure again to see if I can get it down a bit more. I honestly hope that is what is causing the light, but either way, I have to make that go away before I can take it to the testing center, or they will fail it. When yours was acting up, did it throw any codes? It is puzzling to me that none showed up on my Predator.

Users who are viewing this thread