Service yesterday...should I be Concerned?

zeener96

Established Member
Took my car in for service yesterday, leaking rear diff, rocking driver seat, rear end pop, noise in tranny.

Dealer said I have massive play in rear diff and wants to put in new ring & pinion.

Also, Says mainshaft in tranny is making noise and 4-5 shift is messed up (really hard).

The dealer made me an appointment Jan 3 all week to further investigate and repair.

My question is:

Is it common to put in a new ring & pinion, or to install a complete diff.

Same on the tranny...disassemble and repair, or install a new one??

Car has been trated relatively mild....never beat on....kinda bummed with all the problems...but still love the car.

zeener96

Established Member
any time you are moving slow, especially first, when you "lug" the car is sounds like something is jumping around in the tranny.

under steady load= quiet

T's Blk03

No Clue What Goes Here
Established Member
My cars rear made a whining noise since day one. I took it in numerous times for and and was always told it was normal. When I went in for my most recent TOB, the dealer called me and let me know that there was noise coming from the rear and and they were going to check it out. (Duh, check my previous complaints) Any way, the backlash was 0.17 out of spec and the slop ruined just about averything in the diff. They ended up with new putting in a new ring & pinion, all new bearings and a bunch of other little crap to the tune of about $1900 in warranty charges. Not a common problem but I've been there. The good thing is, my wifes vert does not have the same problem :D

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Ford's warranty proceedure will dictate what they replace. For example, they aren't going to replace a diff for a leaking pinion seal or cover gasket. But I'm seeing them replace differentials..not ring and pinions. I'm betting that you get a diff. May be worth a call to SVT to check. I would do the same with the transmission and see what they say about getting a new one. Mileage can also be a factor.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
If they want to replace the Ring and Pinion, see if they'll change the gear ratio for you. 3.73, 3.90, or 4.10.

Users who are viewing this thread