sf86

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
How long do I have to report an incident w/o re-procussion?

What do you mean? what type of incident? if you lie on an SF86 theres a few things that can happen. Most likely you will get rejected for a clearance and you will be DQ'd from ever obtaining one. Second you could slip by (unlikely) only to be caught later and punished under the UCMJ i would assume for lying or failure to disclose in order to obtain. honesty is the best policy, its the freaking US Government, they arent just going to hand someone a clearance without checking. From what ive experienced a lot of guys are still able to obtain a clearance even with certain circumstances in their past. A portion of an SF86 is to gauge your honesty and trustworthiness, if you prove that you are trust worthy the Government is more likely to trust you with a security clearance. If you omit things that they ask for specifically and they find out, its no different than lying in court when the judge has your record in front of him. They will find out.

Last edited:

F1reStart3r

Flubolaids
Established Member
How could you ask this kind of question with no amplifying information and expect an informative answer?

Lied, short answer - as he said you are done. you might as well search for another job now.

New incident, short answer - report it immediately. go to clearance and give every last detail. iirc you can have up to 3 dui's and still get an SCI. there are a shit ton of things you can do and still get cleared. what they want to know is THAT you will tell them. it's almost like a parole board, "do you expect that you will ever repeat this behavior?"...

Socal Mach

300+ club
Established Member
I'm guessing you're active duty, they will find out when the authorities report it to your command or if you manage to hide it when you come up for re-investigation for renewel you'll get popped. They find out like and you're likely done.

clbailey

Established Member
Ive had my clearance for 4 years now, I was just wondering, and it has been reported. Just didn't report it literally the day after it happened, and they were pretty angry but it wasn't a violation just an adverse information situation.

My command is on my side, but they're still trying to hit me with an Art 92 cause thats what the wing king wanted. 4 Eprs, all 5's.
But I talked to my security manager for my sapf and the place you get the clearance and they all couldn't come up with a time frame for reporting an incident, just says it has to be reported.

They wanted an MFR and copy of police report.

Last edited:

Rickv09GT500

It really depends on the type of incident as to how it affects your clearance. As a retired MSgt I would caution you not to talk too mich about it on a blog. Remember anything you say can be used against you if it is brought up.

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
Ive had my clearance for 4 years now, I was just wondering, and it has been reported. Just didn't report it literally the day after it happened, and they were pretty angry but it wasn't a violation just an adverse information situation.

My command is on my side, but they're still trying to hit me with an Art 92 cause thats what the wing king wanted. 4 Eprs, all 5's.
But I talked to my security manager for my sapf and the place you get the clearance and they all couldn't come up with a time frame for reporting an incident, just says it has to be reported.

They wanted an MFR and copy of police report.

Ahhh thats a different situation. I am not sure how getting UCMJ'd affects security clearances....I would assume that so long as its not a field grade or if it wasnt a serious crime it wouldnt affect your clearance status. But it sounds like that is a grey area from what you found out. As long as you reported it and they know about it i wouldnt worry too much.

Users who are viewing this thread