Shady Dyno Numbers On H.P. TV?

blueoval4ever

голубой овал на всегда
Established Member
I was watching a few of the Horse Power TV marathon episodes today and they had a 98 LS1 Camaro on there. The first episode they did a new throttle body and SLP ram air lid. I think they may have done a cat back also but not sure. So the baseline dyno # was 300whp, I can believe that. After the mods the hp jumped to 319, ok so that seems believable. Here is were it seems shady, The next episode with the Camaro they did another baseline run and only came up with 306, where did 13hp go? So after that they added headers and tune and came up with 334hp. I think Horse Power TV may be manipulating numbers to help sell the advertisers products, what do you think.

Jman20427

Die Rise
Established Member
Its possible. But dyno numbers are dyno numbers, they always change day to day with temperature and humidty, how cool the air is, how hot the motor is, etc...

blueoval4ever

голубой овал на всегда
Established Member
Jman20427 said:
Its possible. But dyno numbers are dyno numbers, they always change day to day with temperature and humidty, how cool the air is, how hot the motor is, etc...
I thought about that but inside a climate controled environment Temp. and Humidity should be canceled out of the factor. :shrug:

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
flyn high again said:
Plenty of other variables can influence dyno numbers.

It could have been something as easy as how tight they had it strapped down one day compared to the other. That can make huge differences.

Blownmach

Established Member
I dont think they are pulling any funny business. I just seen them Dyno a stock 03 Cobra it pulled 364 to the wheels, then they used a Hypertech tuner and improved it to 407, then a 3" pulley got it to 415 then they went down to a 2.8 pulley and got 427 to the wheels, sound about right?

Lawman85

Banned
In a later episode, I believe on Saturday, they tore that motor down because of a strange sound and found a spun rod bearing. That may have robbed a few hp.

astrocreep96

Inevitable
Established Member
Premium Member
The Camaro baselined at about 300hp, and after a Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust, lid, and throttle body, they made 319hp.

I was impressed how much the Cobra's power jumped with a simple tune.

Quick yes or no question (as I'm sure there are plenty of threads on it): does Ford replace the head on '03 Cobras with the "tick" under warranty? I've heard plenty about it but I didn't know if it was covered or not.

SVT4ME

Established Member
Any heat soak could effect numbers, how used the oil is, tire pressure too can effect dyno #'s. But I too think they work the numbers

Users who are viewing this thread