Shelby fiberglass super snake hood worth it?

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I suppose I will give my current struts a try before rushing out to order different ones. Since my hood is the ram air version but doesn't have the holes drilled should I drill them? I have read that there can be some buffering/turbulence issues causing maf sensors to act up with inconsistent readings.

It was the earliest version of Super Snake hood that had the issue, it was called "blowing the candle out". There was too much air flow coming into the CAI and when an owner would do a high speed run, like pulling at the top end 160-200mph and then backing off of the gas and coming back down from that run, the air flow into the engine would blow out the spark. <<This issue was remedied by the various version of holes and in the end like mine is.

Funny thing is, the True-Fiber hood like this has the big opening over the CAI, just like the earliest Super Snake hoods. I wonder how many GT500 owners have tested their cars with this hood at the higher speed levels?

R

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I suppose I will give my current struts a try before rushing out to order different ones. Since my hood is the ram air version but doesn't have the holes drilled should I drill them? I have read that there can be some buffering/turbulence issues causing maf sensors to act up with inconsistent readings.

It was the earliest version of Super Snake hood that had the issue, it was called "blowing the candle out". There was too much air flow coming into the CAI and when an owner would do a high speed run, like pulling at the top end 160-200mph and then backing off of the gas and coming back down from that run, the air flow into the engine would blow out the spark. <<This issue was remedied by the various version of holes and in the end like mine is.

Funny thing is, the True-Fiber hood like this has the big opening over the CAI, just like the earliest Super Snake hoods. I wonder how many GT500 owners have tested their cars with this hood at the higher speed levels?

R

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Here is the "fix" for the big open hole above the CAI on the first Super Snake hoods............

009-5.jpg

^^^^^and they changed the number of holes, etc. and eventually ended up with what is on my car.

R

builttodrive

Established Member
Thanks again for all the help Robert!

One more thing how did they mount the vents to the hood?

Now I just have to decide. keep the factory style shelby stripes or go to super snake style?

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Thanks again for all the help Robert!

One more thing how did they mount the vents to the hood?

Now I just have to decide. keep the factory style shelby stripes or go to super snake style?

My car went through the Mod Shop in Las Vegas and got a Super Snake upgrade, so Shelby did the work on my car and they installed the hood louvers and hood at that time.

Just an FYI - I have heard (but not seen) that possibly the factory Ford dual Lemans stripes may get into the Super Snake hood louver area. <<If this is true, that could be another issue.........

R

builttodrive

Established Member
My car went through the Mod Shop in Las Vegas and got a Super Snake upgrade, so Shelby did the work on my car and they installed the hood louvers and hood at that time.

Just an FYI - I have heard (but not seen) that possibly the factory Ford dual Lemans stripes may get into the Super Snake hood louver area. <<If this is true, that could be another issue.........

R

The factory dual lemans stripes measure just over 21 inches in total width so it looks like that should be ok. I will most likely keep the dual stripes and mimic the KR stripes on the hood. I really like the super snake stripes but I think on this one I will keep it dual.

Users who are viewing this thread