Shelby gt500 2013 crankshaft

a7777md

Established Member
i recently build my engine and i need new crankshaft for my 5.8 trinity engine my question is that the 5.4 crankshaft for modular “pickup,explorer etc”will work on my 5.8 ?
Thanks for the help in advance

Bad Company

Established Member
If I remember correctly the Trinity 5.8 engine uses a different crankshaft due to the differences in piston weights, so there is a difference in the counterweight to balance the rotating assembly. I also think between the pickup truck 5.4 Triton engines and the 5.8 Trinity engines there probably is a difference in the metallurgy of the crankshafts making them weaker since these engines were never designed to produce 662 Hp. I wouldn't take the risk of using the truck crankshaft in one of these engines even if it drops in by adding weight to balance it correctly. The other major concern would be the snout of the truck crankshaft was never designed to turn a supercharger. The factory 5.8 crankshafts breaks the snout when a big supercharger is added showing that it is weak with the higher grade of steel used in making them versus the truck crankshaft.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
A little off topic, but doesn't the 5.8 have the cobra jet crankshaft

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
If I remember correctly the Trinity 5.8 engine uses a different crankshaft due to the differences in piston weights, so there is a difference in the counterweight to balance the rotating assembly.

Any machine shop worth a shit can rebalance a crank to any rod/piston combo.

If a forged crank out of a 5.4 GT500 could be utilized for much cheaper, that'd be a route worth researching.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
A little off topic, but doesn't the 5.8 have the cobra jet crankshaft
Actually the Cobrajet has the GT500 crankshaft and it's interchangable between 5.4 and 5.8. The cranks that went into a Cobrajet may have had additional machining done to them, but it's not what Ford Racing repackaged and sold under their part number. I think it was a marketing ploy by Ford Racing to call their repackaged GT500 crankshaft a Cobrajet.

To OP's question, the 5.4 truck cranks had much shorter snouts.

Bad Company

Established Member
I think the original poster asking the question is trying to source the crankshaft locally to him. If my interpretation of his stated location in his username is correct, he isn't in the USA, so getting a crankshaft for a GT500 no matter which one it is, is probably an expensive proposition for him. Whereas he can probably source a 5.4 truck crankshaft in his home country of Jordan easily.

Users who are viewing this thread