Shelby GT500 Brakes on a Terminator

VenemousStang

Established Member
I'm looking to upgrade the brakes on my 03 cobra and was wondering if anyone has used the brakes off of a gt500. The brembo 4 piston or even the 6 piston calipers with 14 inch rotors. Would you need the entire spindle to make it work? What is all involved if it can be done?

0302Cobra

Established Member
I have the F14's on my '98 GT. They are fantastic and all the parts and customer service are top nothch. These will be going on my '04 Cobra too. One note, the Brembo logo on the reds calipers is a decal. It is screened on the blacks.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
If memory serves me correct Vintage venom uses a different caliper than the production brembo's in the GT500, camaro's, Vipers, etc. Those are all two piece calipers where vintage venom's are a one piece. The vintage venom are supposed to be better and prduce alot less heat.

If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will clarify....

TDS-03

Established Member
If memory serves me correct Vintage venom uses a different caliper than the production brembo's in the GT500, camaro's, Vipers, etc. Those are all two piece calipers where vintage venom's are a one piece. The vintage venom are supposed to be better and prduce alot less heat.

If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will clarify....

Thats correct, I have the VV F14 kit and its a one piece caliper. Thier website ha the heat charts and graphs you are likely hearning about. Even at one piece, I think pretty comparable to GT500. Same rotors, same pads.

I'm VERY happy wiht mine, and ablity to run stock offset wheels.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Thats correct, I have the VV F14 kit and its a one piece caliper. Thier website ha the heat charts and graphs you are likely hearning about. Even at one piece, I think pretty comparable to GT500. Same rotors, same pads.

I'm VERY happy wiht mine, and ablity to run stock offset wheels.

woa woa woa....you can run stock 17" rims with the brembo calipers?

TDS-03

Established Member
woa woa woa....you can run stock 17" rims with the brembo calipers?

No no no...sorry, didnt mean to imply that. :eek:

You can run stock offset (26-30mm usually), but you will need at least 18s. So, the majority 94-04 18" wheels on the market will fit.

The VV GT500 conversion requires new 2005 and up offset wheels with at least 45mm offset, which to me is somewhat restrictive.

Wildman113

Established Member
I am running the Vintage Venom F14 kit on my '04, its an excellent setup with great performance.

As was mentioned, the calipers look very similar to the GT500 calipers, but they are actually Monoblocs (1 piece design). This are machined from a solid block of aluminum. This type of caliper is commonly found on many higher end cars, such as Porsches.

The best part is the Vintage Venom kit just bolts on, no need to change or modify spindles or backing plates. They calipers are radial mount, and include ARP hardware to attach them.

I took my car to the track in June, and after a full day of running the car hard, there was never any brake fade or loss of pedal feel. Just awesome braking power and consistent stops, even braking from 130+MPH for the first turn lap after lap.

Users who are viewing this thread