Shelby GT500 brakes, rotors and shock recommendations PLEASE

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
The prices for rear 4 piston rear brakes is insane. Solid axle makes it more so. They are nice. But six pistons in the front, floating calipers in the rear is more than enough for most applications.. But the 4 pistons are real nice bling. I wish they had a kit to fit my old 4 piston Brembos on the rear.
Holidays are fast approaching........there should be some descent sales. Shelby America usually has 20% off sale around thanksgiving on there parts if the wilwoods interest you.

FirstTexan

Established Member
According to Maximum Motorsports, the Koni Yellows ride and handle better than the Bilsteins on the GT500.

Not normally a Koni fan, but am thinking of giving them a shot to replace my FRPP Tokicos.
I go with Bilstein and Michelin whenever possible.

sonicx

Shredder N Cheddar
Established Member
Bilstein might give you a bit smoother time and or DD setup for near or at stock for suspension. If you’re racing or changing up pairings of springs rates / dropping the stances you will probably want adjustable yellow to be able to tune your tolerance to the spring set up. But atlas it comparable to which is your favorite oil brand.

FirstTexan

Established Member
For
Bilstein might give you a bit smoother time and or DD setup for near or at stock for suspension. If you’re racing or changing up pairings of springs rates / dropping the stances you will probably want adjustable yellow to be able to tune your tolerance to the spring set up. But atlas it comparable to which is your favorite oil brand.
As the OP indicated he is not going use it for track or auto X . So that's not a factor here.

For me it's about street driving. With Houston's streets, lowering is out of the question. Unless it just a show car. And you don't drive it around. I find Bilsteins to give control on the bumpy streets we have, not just smoothness. Much better than the Konis and KYBs etc.. I have used over the yrs.

There is a large difference IMO from brand to brand unlike motor oil. They use different designs and methods to achieve a similar goal. But are very different IMO. I tried the rest on many different cars and applications over my 45 yrs of car and truck ownership. I find myself always going back to Michelin and Bilstein. That's me. Others may have a different approach.

Last edited:

sonicx

Shredder N Cheddar
Established Member
For

As the OP indicated he is not going use it for track or auto X . So that's not a factor here.

For me it's about street driving. With Houston's streets, lowering is out of the question. Unless it just a show car. And you don't drive it around. I find Bilsteins to give control on the bumpy streets we have, not just smoothness. Much better than the Konis and KYBs etc.. I have used over the yrs.

There is a large difference IMO from brand to brand unlike motor oil. They use different designs and methods to achieve a similar goal. But are very different IMO. I tried the rest on many different cars and applications over my 45 yrs of car and truck ownership. I find myself always going back to Michelin and Bilstein. That's me. Others may have a different approach.

You sorta proved me point that people will argue / defend what they believe is the best regardless if it is or isn’t. Similar to oil thread for the sake of arguing. To say the gas in a drag setup is similar to the gas doing street or road racing for shocks is pretty known fact to be indeed different. Wasn’t comparing the two, but will make a distinction / clarification of comment now incase of ;)

I threw out another take. You don’t need to be at a track to race. Who’s to say OP doesn’t change his mind about his car or what’s he’s doing? He did say he’s gonna get on it… you have more dialing on yellows.

You mentioned your car isn’t lowered and street driving is pretty much what it does and you like blitz. Awesome. ;) I too love blitz… As I said 1st, I was totally in agreement with you on that and blitz’s. Heck I didn’t mentioned Michelin tires but I like those too!!!

1Kona_Venom

US Army (Ret)
Established Member
Premium Member
Here

Screenshot_20231118-010705_Instagram.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G975U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Last edited:

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
I am upgrading from DBA 4000 series one-piece rotors with Hawk HPS pads to GiroDisc two-piece rotors with Hawk HPS pads. The front DBA rotors are starting to wear after many years of use; otherwise, I am very pleased with their performance on the street. The HPS pads are virtually dustless for the amount of work they put in on a heavy car.

GiroDisc Rotors.jpg

If adjustable shocks are not a requirement, Bilsteins are a good choice for high performance street, sport touring, and mild track days. Please ignore the rusty rear axle… that will be remedied soon ;)

Bilstein Struts with MM Bumpsteer kit.jpg

Bilstein shocks.jpg

FirstTexan

Established Member
Bilsteins are huge improvements in every way from the cheap Tokico's with 6k miles on them. All my cars and trucks get Bilsteins along with Michelins.

Users who are viewing this thread