Shelby GT500 Spark plugs get burnt so fast...anyone help please

Zeke0123

Established Member
Blap..Blap...Blap Blap Blap. Blap it up....I'll take it Blap it up...I'll take it...that's right Fabulous Thunderbirds.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
7's.....Iridiums......Jesus, I wish I sold spark plugs. I'd make a fortune on you guys.

Methinks you might just be over-analyzing it just a tad unless you're sporting some sort of massive horsepower or compound boost.

99% of GT500s modded to our (broad) levels are running TR6's with absolutely zero issues. I buy them for $1.99 each at Autozone. Unless you're using Torco up the wazoo or race gas as a steady diet, you really don't need to change them all that often either.

I WAY overdo it because it's a very cheap way to take a peek at how things are working. I change them every 2500 miles with my oil, but 90% of the miles on my car are racing it. I set them at .032 with 17-18psi on a ported Eaton and a 93/110 mix. They run clean, efficient and cheap. :rockon:

OP....sorry for the thread diversion. Post up a pic or two so people can give you some real feedback instead of speculation.

bj

Last edited:

dirtyo2000

DirtyO2000
Established Member
Sounds to me like this car wasn't tuned for the pulley and exhaust and therefor is a ticking time bomb. I'm not quite sure what blap blap blap means,

Then do some reasearch search. Not like I said bup, bup, bup, bup. Not even close the ruvm, ruvm, ruvm sound when it's idling. lolol

Seriously pics speaks volumes when you need help. On another note I run 16lbs of boost and it was recommended to still run the TR6's. Everyone will give what they think is best. It's just like car oil. I pulled my plugs after it was tuned on the dyno and driven about 300 miles home playing around with it. Plugs still look like new. They have a nice bretty bronze tip on them. I run a can of torco with every fill up. Just replaced the fuel pumps and Jon said to add the 3in pulley and still run the same plugs. Keep an eye on them everytime you make a change and you should be good

Shelby_Oman

Established Member
back again with helpful link

hi guys

i couldnt find a damaged plug, but i recorded the car sound as i said before (blap blap blap) I really hope that someone can tell me what wrong with the car \:shrug:

as a check engine light showed up today

heres a link for the car sound: 2shared - download m4a.m4a

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I can't get it to play, it wants me to download something and I'm not doing that.

Besides, I highly doubt anyone is going to be able to diagnose this car by hearing a recording of its exhaust note.... If you really want help, your going to have to help us help you. Pull a few plugs and take some pics of them.

You also never answered if the car was tuned before or after the pulley. Was the tune made for the pulley or did you just get a basic, performance tune and then put a pulley on it?

Last edited:

Shelby_Oman

Established Member
sorry for that

anyway, it was tuned after putting the pulley, but its still misfiring from the plugs (either the standard shelby motorcraft plugs or the ngk tr6 0.035)

the tuner asked us to try gapping 0.040!!!

by a week time i'll try to get current plugs pics

btw the plugs doesnt get missfire unless we push hard on the car

Bulldogger

Established Member
sorry for that

anyway, it was tuned after putting the pulley, but its still misfiring from the plugs (either the standard shelby motorcraft plugs or the ngk tr6 0.035)

the tuner asked us to try gapping 0.040!!!

by a week time i'll try to get current plugs pics

btw the plugs doesnt get missfire unless we push hard on the car

There have been several owners that had misfire problems with TR6 plugs at higher RPM's above stock boost, switch to NGK BR7EF and gap to .034. That should solve your issue if it is plug related.

vankuen

Established Member
AAAAHHHHHH....now I know what the blap blap blap reference was from the other thread!

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
Yeah, .040 is too large of a gap. Your missfire is probably spark blow out. I'd try gapping them down to .034 like stated above and if it still does it, go down to .032.

I've also had very good luck with Autolite 103's which are the same heat range as the TR6's. I had them in both of my Cobras and my 500 RWHP 2V motor and all three of those cars ran great on them. My Coupe which was a 600 RWHP car ran great on TR6's and 103's but ran the best on Autolite XP Iridiums. I think the part number was XP103 if I remember correctly.
Just keep in mind that when you run a standard copper plug in a car making high power and high boost, you will need to change them out more often. Depending on the fuel your using and the abuse your putting the car through, you probably want to change them every oil change or every other oil change.

Who tuned the car by the way? If it wasn't someone that's reputible or well known in the Mustang community, you may want to have the tune double checked by someone that is. I can't believe that a tuner that knows these cars would recommend a .040 gap, but hey, what do I know... :beer:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread