SHHH Do You Hear That?

wrxman60

Premiere Wheelman
Established Member
Driving on the highway, I hear wind seeping into the cab. I found that it is the driver's side door not sealing all of the way. If I push out on the upper middle portion of the door, (at the top of the glass) it opens even more. It almost seems like the door is not closing all the way shut. The seals look fine and no water ever comes in.
My question is, has this happened to anyone else? And can I adjust the door so that I eliminate this problem?

04darkL

Dark Lightning
Established Member
ive actually notice that you have to close my pass door harder than the driver side, i hope this isnt leading to a unsealed door

GTPvsSVT

crunk
Established Member
Driving on the highway, I hear wind seeping into the cab. I found that it is the driver's side door not sealing all of the way. If I push out on the upper middle portion of the door, (at the top of the glass) it opens even more. It almost seems like the door is not closing all the way shut. The seals look fine and no water ever comes in.
My question is, has this happened to anyone else? And can I adjust the door so that I eliminate this problem?

Yes there are adjustments to the latch / hinges, if it doesn't leak, I wouldn't worry too much about it...Time for louder exhaust

ive actually notice that you have to close my pass door harder than the driver side, i hope this isnt leading to a unsealed door

Vacuum pressure. crack a window before you shut the door. Wifey never gets hers closed the first time:rollseyes

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
Passengers in my truck have trouble closing the door all the way as well. Cab seals really well, and people dont want to slam it. I usually try to keep my door open and wait for them to shut theirs first.

wrxman60

Premiere Wheelman
Established Member
Its weird I know what you are saying, In my 01 Ford Supercrew, the passenger side seals so well its difficult to open the door if it has not been opened in a while. However, in the L its almost like the doors are lighter, I barely have to push the door closed to shut it. But the driver side door is the only one that has the air leak.

blownsvtlightning

Established Member
was a tsb on the trucks for the window not seating in the channel properly while rolling the window up at freeway speeds, other than that if the seal is ok, just adjust the door in or bend the top of the door inward slightly

04darkL

Dark Lightning
Established Member
ive heard cases that people that drive around or above 80+ with the windows down will cause the back glass to eventually leak due to wind pressure coming in the cab.

sethlovesfords

Established Member
Yeah my mom's Expy was the worst. If there was ANY wind hitting the left or right side of the car, its all you could hear... its easy to fix, though. If you loosen up the Torx bolts holding the latch on on the inner part of the door, then tap on it with a dead blow hammer a few times, tighten it up, make sure the door shuts ok, then test drive to see if its enough. Don't hammer it too far in, because then it'll be hard to shut everytime (thats what she said... couldn't help it:shrug:).

Greg@RET

Established Member
LOL, I thought I was the only one that would say your thread title while driving :D

wrxman60

Premiere Wheelman
Established Member
Yeah my mom's Expy was the worst. If there was ANY wind hitting the left or right side of the car, its all you could hear... its easy to fix, though. If you loosen up the Torx bolts holding the latch on on the inner part of the door, then tap on it with a dead blow hammer a few times, tighten it up, make sure the door shuts ok, then test drive to see if its enough. Don't hammer it too far in, because then it'll be hard to shut everytime (thats what she said... couldn't help it:shrug:).

Niiiice, thanks man, I going to try this tomm.

wrxman60

Premiere Wheelman
Established Member
Hey Seth, I tried what you said today with adjusting the latch. The Expedition's latch must be different from the L's. The Torx bolts on the latch sit flush with the surface of the latch, so essentially, there is no room for movement of the latch. So from what I see, there really is no easy adjustment of the tightness of the door.

blownsvtlightning

Established Member
Hey Seth, I tried what you said today with adjusting the latch. The Expedition's latch must be different from the L's. The Torx bolts on the latch sit flush with the surface of the latch, so essentially, there is no room for movement of the latch. So from what I see, there really is no easy adjustment of the tightness of the door.

I think what he meant was the striker which mounts to the acutal body of the car and not the door.. the latch is not adjustable.

wrxman60

Premiere Wheelman
Established Member
Ok, in that case, I did attempt in adjusting the striker. The one that is held in by two Torx bolts on the body, not on the door. No Go

Users who are viewing this thread