Shift gate?

SVerT

Established Member
Like a Ferrari?
Do you think that the MGW Ltd guys would make one that would incorporate to their shifter?
It seems sometimes that it's hard to tell what gear your in and what gear you are going to, at least for me, and a shift gate type thingy would help. Plus I think it might look pretty cool if it was done right and you could show off your cool blue/red handle shifter.

What do you guys think?
Ricey?

FredK'03Cobra

Established Member
Gated shifters are horrible. The only reason Ferrari continued it for so many years is because buyers expected it -- traditional Ferrari looks. To drive one quickly is a pain in the rear.
Familiarity with your vehicle will (or should in time) overcome your current difficulty. Get to know the engine speed in the gears at different road speeds. With that knowledge, a quick look at speedometer and tach will let you know exactly what gear you're in.

SVerT

Established Member
Was it the gate or the shifter?
Don't get me wrong, I normally can shift just fine.
I just think it may look pretty cool as well as somewhat functional.
Plus, I really like the mechanical look of the MGW shifter and do not like the idea of covering it up.
Thanks for your input,
Jesse

turbocake

Established Member
the stick's mandatory thickness precludes the possibility of a gated shifter base that would have separate gates for each gear. The gates would overrun each other, so it's impossible. It would work if you raised the base toward the knob, but such closeness would have you pinching fingers.

Users who are viewing this thread