Shifter Base Gasket Needed??

Honest Mike

Established Member
Hey guys, I'm ordering a Barton shifter for my car and 2 post bracket. I want to know if I should also order a new base gasket, or will the original still be reusable? The car is only a month old, so I'd like to assume the base gasket won't rip or break when I take it apart.. Or is the replacement gasket a better gasket? I was reading some of the reviews on AM.com and some people say it squeezed out as they tightened the bolts.. I'd like to hear from people who have changed their shifters, whether it be the Barton, MGW or whatever, did you put a new gasket? Was the original still good? Or did you just put the shifter on with no gasket, metal on metal? Did it vibrate like hell? Lol. Or did you put some kind of black rtv? Let me know as soon as possible so I can place my order please!

Also, I'm leaning towards ordering it from AmericanMuscle.com Are they a vendor here?? They do free shipping and don't charge tax either, which is nice! :thumbsup:

Way2QWK

Established Member
I just did a steeda shifter in mine. Car had 600 miles. The stock gasket was fine and stayed on the trans. I recommend adding one of CobraBobs thick rubber gaskets on top of the stock one. When tightening the shifter the gasket did squeeze out a bit, but it's fine. No extra NVh with mine.

AMAlexLazarus

AmericanMuscle.com
Hey guys, I'm ordering a Barton shifter for my car and 2 post bracket. I want to know if I should also order a new base gasket, or will the original still be reusable? The car is only a month old, so I'd like to assume the base gasket won't rip or break when I take it apart.. Or is the replacement gasket a better gasket? I was reading some of the reviews on AM.com and some people say it squeezed out as they tightened the bolts.. I'd like to hear from people who have changed their shifters, whether it be the Barton, MGW or whatever, did you put a new gasket? Was the original still good? Or did you just put the shifter on with no gasket, metal on metal? Did it vibrate like hell? Lol. Or did you put some kind of black rtv? Let me know as soon as possible so I can place my order please!

Also, I'm leaning towards ordering it from AmericanMuscle.com Are they a vendor here?? They do free shipping and don't charge tax either, which is nice! :thumbsup:

Hey Mike-Good question and I think for what they cost it's a good idea to have one picked up in the event yours is deteriorating. I've heard mixed reviews myself that some got away without it but, be on the safe side! We're absolutely a vendor here and we're also based outside of Philly so if this is ordered you're have parts tomorrow! Shoot me a PM for our discount code as well!

Alex

Honest Mike

Established Member
Quick question for the people who have done this before, cause I never have.. Is there anything I should be aware of before I attempt this install?? I read online someone put theirs all together and then found out at the end something was wrong and he had to take it apart again and turn something over? Something about turn it over to the side that says 2013? Is that only certain years? Or did Barton come out with an updated version now? My car is a 2014. Just don't want any surprises. I watched every YouTube video I could find on installing this shifter and none of them mention anything like this at all. Just that you have to take the plastic cup off the old shifter and snap it on the new shifter and drop it in.

Also, in the pictures of the shifter, I see a set screw on the side of it with what looks like a Torx bit head. What is this for? Do I need to do anything with it? Cause if so, I have to make sure I have a Torx bit to fit it. Again, just want to be fully prepared. I have access to a lift, but if I run into a problem where I need to run to a parts store for a tool or something, the car will be on the lift with no shifter in it LOL!

Honest Mike

Established Member
Ok I received the shifter today. Didn't install it yet. The screw on the side is an Allen key type screw not a Torx bit and it's for taking the handle off and turning it around 180 degrees. One side is marked 2011 and the other is marked 2013. Right now it's set to the 2011 side. Since I have a 2014, is it safe to say I'm going to have to flip mine over to the 2013 side? Yes I know it says to measure but what's the chances I have a 2011 type shifter box?

Also I thought Barton included thread locker in the purchase of the shifter and/or bracket? There was none in the box..

ERS

Established Member
Just installed my Barton shifter last night. The 2011 and 2013 sides of the shifter handle have to do with the reverse lock out. If you have a made in Mexico shift box it will be 1.8" deep and use the 2011 side of the shift handle and the made in Canada side will be 2" deep and require the 2013 side(you'll see the "made in..." cast into the shift box). I read this on a different post on this site, that being said I had to use the 2011 side on my made in canada box, 2013 GT. But I also installed a CobraBob shifter base gasket that is 1/16" thick which raised the shifter a 1/16". First installed it with the 2013 side, and it was impossible it engage the reverse lock out, and even now installed using the 2011 side, its very difficult. Not sure my wife would be able to get it in reverse at all. Unfortunately I may have to remove the base gasket or modify the lockout tab to make reverse easier to access. The base gasket is awesome though, it helped achieve less NVH with the Barton shifter, than the stock setup from the factory. So I'm kind of torn of what to do.

Honest Mike

Established Member
Thanks for the reply. I installed it today, the shifter and 2 post bracket. My box definitely measured less than 2" so I left it set to the 2011 side. Only thing I don't like is its giving me trouble downshifting to 2nd gear. Upshifting is no problem. Downshifting its locking me out of second. I can go from 6th to 5th or 4th or even 3rd but it won't let me go to 2nd from 3rd or from anywhere. Even from a dead stop it seems I can't put it in 2nd unless I go to 1st first OR give 1st a little nudge then it will let me go to 2nd. Very annoying. Anyone else?? Is it possible I have to flip the handle over to the side marked 2013? I measured it numerous times to make sure it wasn't the 2" height..

Honest Mike

Established Member
Ok I just took the car for another drive. It's not locking me out of second. I have a tendency to push left with adequate force and down and it's getting hung up. If I go left lightly it goes down into second no problem. Is this normal? Shouldn't you be able to push left as hard as you want and down and it should go in? I'm wondering if I should loosen the 2 nuts that hold the bracket to the floor and wiggle it around a little and let it center itself and re tighten and see how it is then? Or is this just a characteristic of our trans? Or the Barton shifter itself?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread