shifter problems when hot

Way2QWK

Established Member
Over the weekend I had 2 separate occurrences of a stiff shifter. Seems to be heat related. The car is only a garage queen and has not been driven in hot weather (100+ degrees) until recently. First time the shifter got very stiff even moving it side to side. It keep going into reverse when I was trying to put it into first. I was only a block away from my shop so I let it cool off there and it was back to normal.

Second time was Saturday. Did my first road course laps with the car. I did several 20 minute sessions around small local road course. Once the car warmed up, shifter was hard to get into second. Ended up just using 3rd gear for last session. When I pulled off track to leave, the shifter would not go into second gear no matter what. Like it was hitting a wall.

I did a search and found someone say it could be the delrin shifter bushing expanding with heat causing the bind. Is this the most likely cause? Should I contact the shifter company about the problem or is this maybe tranny?

Car only has 1600 street miles with a steeda shifter, barton 2 post and amsoil trans fluid.

mattymazz

Established Member
i had this problem with my mgw when it was brand new.
took a little more than 500 miles of driving and heat cycles to wear in.
doesn't do it anymore.

i would give it a little more time.

ExTurbo

Established Member
Only issue ive ever had with my barton is sometimes when very hot it wants to go back into reverse. just pull the shifter up a bit and it will go back into first. First time it happened at a stoplight i was panicked cause it wouldnt go into first or second until i pulled the shifter up.

Users who are viewing this thread