Shifter

magnum4000

Established Member
I'm on my 4th mustang, and I've used both!

The first shifter I used was the pro5.0 - I didn't like the handle that it came with, so I ordered bushinngs that would allow me to use the oem handle. Pro5.0 is an excellent shifter. But, a few months later the handle came loose as I was driving :fm: and I had to stop at a hardware store and get some locktite just to get home. Needless to say, I was not happy about this. Furthermore, pro5.0 never said I needed locktite. After that it worked just fine, but I was still abit anoyed. :bash:

Then I got the Steeda Tri-ax. I liked the handle it came with, plus the two choices of how you bolt it up. The tri-ax comes with lock washers, so no need for locktite.

One of the first things I did for the 03 cobra is put a tri-ax in. Having used both before, I went with Steeda.

Both are good for what they do, which is greatly improve shifting and preventing missed shifts. But, I believe that Steeda puts more effort and research into making their shifters. They made a separate shifter for the T3650 (which was on my 01), and they were quick to come out with one for the T56. Pro5.0 is more generic. Both will be noisy, but shifting is so different with one that you will not like driving any manual without it. Stock is just way too sloppy. Steeda is a bit more pricey - if you do go for the Tri-ax, do a search on ebay - I saved $30 getting from ebay than from Steeda (brand new; not used).

Good luck no matter what your choice!

:beer:

cwa175

Established Member
Yes, I have a friend that has the Tri-ax and uses the stock handle.
There is a guy selling the Steeda Tri-ax on Ebay for $169.00 what do they go for retail? Anybody know?

Silver 03 Cobra

I've had both and the Tri-Ax transmits a hell of a lot of tranny noise. You will eventually get used to it. I have the Pro 5.0 on mine and just installed one on my buddies 03 with the stock handle and bushing kit. If you know someone that has a lathe you can make a set of bushings in 10 minutes and save $10. I think I'm going to do it because it is an improvement. As far as the screw coming loose, I think that'd be more of a concern using an aluminum handle versus a steel one. I used the same screws on my 50 aluminum shifter and it's holding fine and I've banged the piss out of it. Put some good lock washers and tighten the heck out of it and it should hold. I would think this is a fastener problem and not a Pro 5.0 problem. I will never but another Tri-Ax.

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
The PRO-5.0 is a much heftier piece of shifter. Loctite Tite'N for Bolts should always be used as a precaution. If you grannyshift, you may notice that the Tri-Ax has smoother 2nd-3rd. If you quick, speed or powershift, you will generally not notice the difference. The stock shift handle is a sturdy piece in and of itself. Couple it with the PRO-5.0 to overcome the shortcomings of the PRO-5.0 steel handle.

cwa175

Established Member
Thanks, Correct me if I'm wrong but it appears that the Steeda arm is a lot more bent than the Pro-5.0. The Pro 5.0 seems like the throws would be just a hint shorter than the Tri-Ax. And I never shift like a p***y. I need something that is going to take some punishment. But the Pro 5.0 sounds like it might be the winner.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread