shifting at or above 7k

Angry50

Established Member
looking for most likely solution. when ever I do a first gear pull and try to hit 2nd at 7k+ I seem to not make it. if I short shift it at 6-6500 it seems to work. driving normal is fine. WOT shifts in midrange work fine. Im trying to figure out if this is an issue with the transmission or the clutch. im thinking maybe if the Blowfish bracket might fix this or if its an issue with the stock clutch. I was thinking the transmission could be having issues but I don't know how to tell if a synchro or something else might be wrong. I do have the extended powertrain warranty.

Jabooh1

Established Member
This is a very common issue. Just search MT-82 and shifting. Lots of people have chased this issue. Some with success some not.

I did the whiteline insert and it helped some. I ordered the blowfish bracket as well.

Angry50

Established Member
ya im looking to get the bracket even though I missed the first order. :-( I hope that fixes it.. after that I can try clutch.

Speedwagon

Established Member
ya im looking to get the bracket even though I missed the first order. :-( I hope that fixes it.. after that I can try clutch.

What is the bracket you are thinking of and where can I get it... Having same issue... Thanks bud!

Bullitt 3309

Established Member
Since the CJ install I cant shift past 7200. Clutch stays on floor... Only fix will be new clutch.... I have the MGW and clutch line... Blowfish Bracket bought and waiting for shipment (got it on initial buy)

SCalla1384

Established Member
If your grinding or being locked out of gear at high rpm, its a clutch issue. Factory clutch will not disengage fully at 7500rpm. Mine wouldn't above 6800 just going into 2nd.

Steveespo

Established Member
Clutch needs to be upgraded for 7000+ shifts. I ran my GT for 2 1/2 years with Boss mani and 7400 rpm redline. Shifted at 72-7400 on road courses during that period. Last fall at Summit Point on a 3-4 upshift pedal wet to the floor for the first and only time. Kablammo, center spring in disc ejected into pressure plate. Replaced clutch with McLeod RST dual disc. With CJ mani redline now at 7700 no issues shifting 75-7600. Adding Blowfish bracket just for peace of mind to protect MT-82 sychros.
Bottom line, don't keep forcing the transmission into gear if you experience pedal to the floor or lock outs, the clutch is not fully releasing and this is what damages the MT-82. Friend of mine has blown 2 clutches and 2 transmissions on his Boss LS in road race environment. He is finally springing for the McLeod RXT to save his 2nd warrantied MT-82.
Steve

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
Rev auto rebuilds these mt 82's to stout, a new clutch and a blowfish mount and mgw and your in tremec territory!

jj6string

Established Member
Lockout is a two part problem.

Because of the remote mount shifter setup and weak factory bracket, when the trans is in upper RPM the gates move and your shifter is actually hitting the side of the gate where it would normally go in. Solution is to change the shifter.

On top of this, if the clutch isn't strong enough to fully open at higher RPM that can lock you out as well. If you have an aftermarket shifter or bracket and shift if the upper RPM, the shifter will still hit the gate properly since there should be minimal deflection, but since the clutch can't fully open you grind gears instead. This is obviously bad for your syncros. Solution for that is a better clutch.

tlrd: shifter bracket and clutch both need replacement.

Last edited:

Speedwagon

Established Member
looking for most likely solution. when ever I do a first gear pull and try to hit 2nd at 7k+ I seem to not make it. if I short shift it at 6-6500 it seems to work. driving normal is fine. WOT shifts in midrange work fine. Im trying to figure out if this is an issue with the transmission or the clutch. im thinking maybe if the Blowfish bracket might fix this or if its an issue with the stock clutch. I was thinking the transmission could be having issues but I don't know how to tell if a synchro or something else might be wrong. I do have the extended powertrain warranty.

Leme know what works out for you.. I am probably going to order the bracket regardless...

Users who are viewing this thread