SHO top speed?

zxport3

Established Member
I know that these cars have a steller top end and can really do some damage from a 70 or 80 roll but my question is does the top speed vary depending on what generation you have or are they all the same 1989 threw 1998? Is the top speed 140? If so are they governed at 140 or is that the cars maxed out speed? These may be dumb questions for a hardcore sho fan but im just shoing:D some intrest for other cool cars.

SHOspazz92

Established Member
the Generation one (1989-91) could do about 141, the Generation 2 (1992-1995) could do about 144, from my own experience (or at least my dads anyways) we got our 1992(our current SHO) to about 136 or so and the car was still pulling, and its bone stock, with our 1990(our second one) we toped it out (pretty scary) at 140 with the speedo not being able to move anymore (140mph speedo) and with our 1991 we were to scared to top it out since it was our first SHO and we really didnt know the limits of the car(it was our first SHO)

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
What I remember hearing

Here is how I remember the top speed thing.

Now remember, my memory is not what is used to be. I have a good memory, it's just short :thumbsup:

I think the top speed of Gen I's were 143 or there abouts. I think :shrug:

I remember hearing the "drag" numbers were bigger on the Gen II's and it dropped a few mph's. The Gen III's I think were computer limited to a ridiculous speed of like 115 or something like that?

Like I said, my memory is short. Maybe someone with younger gray matter can chime in here.

How I remember it, I think? :beer:

Bruce

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
They are all rougly the same, but its aerodynamically limited.

Ransom, has the record in some class in W. NC of like 165ish.......in 5k ft.

sohowcome

Captain Obvious
I have been 138mph in 4th but thats like 7000-7200 RPM I might dare to break 150 in mine as soon as I can find a nice sunny day and a flat surface so I dont plaster myself all over the road.

SteedaSVT

Established Member
Ive Had the SHO past 140 and the SVT at 150. Got a nice pic at that speed tooo:burnout:
So the gen III's don't have a gov????

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
not that I'm aware of, i have a vid some where of one doing 135ish................

Also you have to remember once you get over 100mph there is a certain % of inaccuracy in the speedos.

Originally posted by SteedaSVT
Ive Had the SHO past 140 and the SVT at 150. Got a nice pic at that speed tooo:burnout:
So the gen III's don't have a gov????

SteedaSVT

Established Member
Originally posted by RTStabler51
not that I'm aware of, i have a vid some where of one doing 135ish................

Also you have to remember once you get over 100mph there is a certain % of inaccuracy in the speedos.

Ohh ya i know but its still cool to push a 2.5liter to them speeds,,,,, god im gonna miss my SVT

NC STANG GUY

03 gone but not forgotten
Established Member
I remember years and years ago Motor Trend having an "Americas Fastest Cars" issue. Had a SHO doing 142mph. Seems like it was around 91-92? :shrug:

Billy (former 94 SHO ATX owner)

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
sounds about right....all gens are right around there, and if you remember the SHO speedo goes to 140 :)

had the ol' 93 ATX up to 135 once with the o/d turned off and still was pulling hard..ran outta road (only had about 1.5-2 miles to get up to that speed)

Originally posted by Wicked393CILX
I remember years and years ago Motor Trend having an "Americas Fastest Cars" issue. Had a SHO doing 142mph. Seems like it was around 91-92? :shrug:

Billy (former 94 SHO ATX owner)

MikeDSVT

Established Member
yea i have had 2 SHO's 143 is the topspeed unmodded. I ran my las one to 140. Did 4 or 5 passes on the flats...turned around to make one last one and got tagged by the cops right before i hit 80mph....good thing they werent around 5-10 mins earlier

Osiris

Established Member
144.jpg

From the V8sho website, this is a pic from the dash of a genIII. ( this may be Kirk Doucette's car, or Ron Porter's, I can't really remember... )

As you can see it's still got some pull left....

I've had mine to 115, car felt like it was going 60.

Prophet

Established Member
That things still got another 2500 rpm to go.WOW.
And the cool thing the about the sho you, can take these machines to these high rpms and the fuel needle barely moves.

SteedaSVT

Established Member
Originally posted by Osiris
144.jpg

From the V8sho website, this is a pic from the dash of a genIII. ( this may be Kirk Doucette's car, or Ron Porter's, I can't really remember... )

As you can see it's still got some pull left....

I've had mine to 115, car felt like it was going 60.

I Don't know If he could have really went that much faster.. Thats alot of Air to push out of hte way. I have a pic of my CSVT doing a tad over 150 and it felt solid but no matter how long i held the gas pedal down it wouldn't go any faster. It was aerodynamicly drag limited. Kinda Sucked but still is a nice pic. probably doing like 145 or something is more of a real speed i guess i dont' know???????

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
just remember that speedos are off once you get above 100ish, I'm not sure ofthe exact numbers tho....

maoun

Established Member
most are off by up to 10 in each direction past 100....the new 03 cobra's are only off by about 5 (too low) at 150

m.

Users who are viewing this thread