Shock extender pics

TheBigEdbosky

no... but your mom does
Established Member
i know some of you guys are curious of how these things look and how they mount. so i finally got some pics together. i hope this sheds some light on things for ya's.

also, not to be too modest or anything but i gotta quote geico here when it comes to insatlling these things. "so easy a caveman can do it". i finally just put these on last weekend and i gotta say the hardest part was getting my fatass up off the creeper to get a tool i needed. these things are very straight foward to install with minimal tools and persuation (if you need to persuade, use a rubber mallet). if you guys have done most of the modding on your trucks then these things are a breeze in comparison to some of the other mods for our trucks.

well here they are... and no comments on my dirty rusty underside:rollseyes
14soaqr.jpg

a5j6ux.jpg

2zqsi85.jpg

hvnp0o.jpg

ajvwk1.jpg

spazzyfry123

Oh Snap!
Established Member
Nice! Would these work well with a 6"ish drop?
Also, how far are you dropped in the rear for comparison of ground clearance?

amacvey

Established Member
I know this has been covered elsewhere but what are the advantages and any disadvantages of using shock extenders?

MixMaker

I've got a fever!!
Established Member
I know this has been covered elsewhere but what are the advantages and any disadvantages of using shock extenders?

I just may be admitting to my stupidity....but what do they do? LOL

All I can think is to use stock shocks on a dropped truck, but I was told otherwise. Enlighten me?

TheBigEdbosky

no... but your mom does
Established Member
my truck has 2" shackles w/ one leaf removed in the back which kinda equals a 3" drop i suppose for the rear. but i used a 7/8 puck type bump stop for the axle and these togther and my ride quality is far better now. before i installed the extenders and bump stop i was using the bump stop from the front and no extenders. that was rough, but like i said the ride quality now is far better and i don't run the risk of blowing out the shocks.
so to answer the questions, yes they do work and as far as their purpose, they increase your travel on the shock so you don't blow them out by compressing them too far. (when you lower the truck with stock shocks you decrease the shock movement by however many inches you lower thre truck by therefor making it that much easier to bottom out the sock) i hope this sheds some light on things .

ViciousJay

Established Member
bump this thread, this is a failed part so it seems its not the monkey wrenching it... BIG any ideas why its hitting?

Last edited:

Unoid

Established Member
VJ every damned thread I see you post in , is you being pessimistic. Thats jsut my imrpession.

I'm considering buying these for my 04 lightning however, so I'd like to know if theres issues.

Jarbolt01

01 Whiner
Established Member
I finally got around to installing mine this weekend. I must say they are a breeze to install but yes they are a tight fight around the Blistens and stock mounts. I still was able to get the little boogers installed in around 45 minutes. The ride quality is back to normal now with them installed.

ViciousJay

Established Member
VJ every damned thread I see you post in , is you being pessimistic. Thats jsut my imrpession.

I'm considering buying these for my 04 lightning however, so I'd like to know if theres issues.

if they work for you then great... ill be happy to take pics and show you! even my buddy who decided to help was scratching his head!!!

BillsSnake

I purchased a set for my 04 but they will not work with my QA1's so if anyone is in the market for a set I have em ready to ship. Quality is very good. If you happen to live in SE Florida all the better. :beer:

TheBigEdbosky

no... but your mom does
Established Member
bump this thread, this is a failed part so it seems its not the monkey wrenching it... BIG any ideas why its hitting?

i made the brackets to a fairly tight tolerance. there is about 1/16th of an inch on either side (a total of 1/8th). mine are tight but no they are not rubbing. i think the problem is the 1/4 spacers being undersized possibly. if they are then that could cause overtightening which would pull the sides together resulting in the shock rubbing.
i realize that yes i am the person who made/designed these but like i said when it comes to installing these it is very simple stupid. if you guys can lower your trucks in the first place and do that work, then these should be a walk in the park in comparison.
if you want i'll send you a set of new spacers. let me know

Users who are viewing this thread