Shocks

FLACO_G

Established Member
Do I Need Any Special Tools To Change The Rear Shocks On My 2001 Lightning?? I Was Going To Do This Last Weekend But There Is Baraly Any Room To Loosen The Upper Nut?? Is There A Trick To This??

Bowhuntr11

I am a semi-n00b now..
Established Member
...how is this the wrong forum? :shrug:

Just want to make sure I am not missing another part of the forum :rockon:

FLACO_G

Established Member
Well Not Sure About Wrong Forum Or Not... But Can I Get Some Help Here People.... How Do I Go About Installing The Rear Shocks??

lightninmike

skeered to mod it
Established Member
You have to lay under the truck, with a deep socket and a ratchet. A ratchet with a swivel handle worked like a charm for me.
Put said ratchet in between the frame and the bed and start at it (this is where the swivel handle helped)

FLACO_G

Established Member
You Are Correct My Friend.. Why Didn't I Think Of That?? I Am Going To Try That This Weekend

ACSVT

1st Ford
Established Member
Its not hard if you have the right tools. I did not, and was too stubborn to go to Sears and get the right tools.

I had to use a long screw driver through a hole on a socket to hold the top nut....it sucked.
Never again, I have since bought correct tools :D

mickey03L

Just the normal bolt ons
Established Member
getting stock ones off were just lil aggrevating. now puttin strange adjustables on the driver side was a pita. whoever designed the mount for the driver side needs beat over head with a boat paddle

Last edited:

ACSVT

1st Ford
Established Member
I THINK its a 13/16 socket, but don't quote that. You need a deep socket and a long ratchet with a swivel on the end would be the best thing I would say you could use.

xxSection8xx

02 Lightning
Established Member
21mm deep well to take the top nut off the stockers. I did not have the ratchet with the swivel handle and it was not fun. A ratchet wrench would have been nice to install the Strange adjustables, because the hold back is on the end of the shock so you cant use a socket. I used an open end wrench and it was a slow process beacuse of the limited access.

BC Lightning

Project Panty Dropper
Established Member
I removed my bed to do mine, but with the right tools, it's a snap.

thats how I removed my old shocks, just me and my buddy took the bed off, I did the driver side shock, he did the passanger, was done in about 3 hours taking our time, but it wasn't the first time removing the bed, can take a lot longer the first time

Users who are viewing this thread