roush85

Established Member
Well any track related question?

I have a 2008 gt do i need a helmet?

If so where do I buy one and how much?

SPRAYED DAILY

MACA
Established Member
I cant remember at what ET/MPH a helmet is required but wether the track requires it or not its always a good idea to have on a helmet.

Prices run from $100 - $1,500 but I think a decent helmet will set you back about $400 - $500. Depends on what you can afford, but just make sure it has a 2005 SNELL rating.

Simpson, Bell & G-Force are the bigger drag racing brands.

Last edited:

04yellowcobra

Established Member
ebay and craigslist are your friend. Go to a motorcycle store and try some on for fitment then look for those sizes online. I believe its 13.99 and faster. I have been mid 12s without a helmet and haven't gotten told to put it on. If you are in the 11s they will definatly be busting on you.

TRBO VNM

ebay and craigslist are your friend. Go to a motorcycle store and try some on for fitment then look for those sizes online. I believe its 13.99 and faster. I have been mid 12s without a helmet and haven't gotten told to put it on. If you are in the 11s they will definatly be busting on you.

+1. pretty sure most tracks require it now for running any 13 sec time. I don't know what the NHRA or IHRA rule is though.

jeostang46

Established Member
Capitol and MIR both allow M rated helmets to a certain ET and speed. However if you buy a used one make sure its not expired. I have a M helmet that I got in 98 and the tech guy at capitol almost didn't let me run because it was expired.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
sry for all the noob question but what rated helmet do I ned for the track then?

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/clo/649339595.html

i think this might b right
Can't really tell by the discription. John, I have an extra one that you're welcome to borrow that is SA2005 approved. I used it for 3 years. I'm leaving for Boston tomorrow night and you'd have to figure out how to get it from me.

Derek@Amazon

RTCTTFMF!!!
Established Member
mines sm2005 rated. never had any problems getting passed tech. i know guys who have been into the 9's with an SM helmet.

ill send jason a message on another forum and get an answer for you

wheelhopper

Established Member
In my several years of drag racing I have never had the tech guy check my helmet. Sometimes they do not even ask if I have one.

GetBlown2k3

Established Member
I picked up a KBC VR-2 Gun Duo helmet off of ebay for $90, it looks absolutely bad ass and is both DOT and SNELL approved

Users who are viewing this thread