Shopping for F-150

Bad03Vert

Hello 5.0
Established Member
Good morning folks. My wife and I have been window shopping with the possibility of trading one of our cars for a new F-150. We've looked at several models and we like the FX2, FX4, Lariat, and Platinum trims. She fell in love with a 2013 Ruby Red F-150 Platinum Supercrew, sticker was $49,770 but since we get Z-Plan it came out to around $44,500.00. My wife is very cautious when it comes to spending money so we're trying to do our homework before we make a decisions to buy. I know the F-150 has a decent resale value, but my question is how do they compare between trim packages? Our 2nd favorite vehicle was a 2013 Ruby Red F-150 FX4 Supercrew and MSRP was a few thousand less than the Platinum - had all the same options except the FX4 did not have the moonroof and the Platinum was 4x2. We have (3) dogs, do recreational activities about once or twice a month, and we're forecasting having kids someday. We're not sedan, minivan, or SUV people. We built a new house in October last year and currently have projects requiring a vehicle to haul larger items home. We're looking for the better buy or advice from F-150 owners - please feel free to enlighten and educate.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
4x4 will cost about $3500 more than a 4x2 brand new...when you go to sell them they will bring $4000-5000 more than a 4x2 (at least in my area, I understand Florida may be a little different).

Since you can buy at Z-plan, minus the rebates ($4750 financing through Ford with a trade in) you're going to buy it about $11,000 back of MSRP. A lot of the customers in my area buy A plan (same as Z) when the rebates get big, then they drive them for about a year and trade them in and make money.

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
I decided to go with a 2012 FX2 (supercrew) with the full luxury package. The truck has 1 will slip control, electronic traction/stability control and a locking differential. There is absolutely no reason to buy a 4 x 4 unless you plan on mud bogging or something. Id say 99% of driving situations do not need 4 x 4. Ive driven off road plenty of times and if you use your brain 4 x 2 will get the job done.

4 x4 = more expensive, more maintenance, higher insurance, less fuel mileage

Also, i chose the 5.0L over the ecoboost. With 24,000 miles on it to date im showing average 18mpg with about 60/50 highway/city driving cycle. Most "eco" owners are reporting 16-17mpg in real world.

Users who are viewing this thread