short runner stock intake?

lethalvenom

Established Member
I talked to ken @ modular depot here in cincinnatti and he mentioned something about cutting the runners on the stock intake to gain more power!?
has anybody heard of this or how to do it?

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
They work awesome on n/a cars, normally about a 15-20hp gain. I'm making one now and there are a few others that make them also. defintely a good mod.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
jlauth said:
is there anyone that will do this for you almost like a port job.

whatdoyamean? You have to disassemble the intake, shorten the runners, reinstall the belled ends (if you want), match the IMRCs to the intake, remove material from the runner boss', put epoxy on the ledge and then reinstall the runners...not neccessarily in that order.

fasvtcontour00

Established Member
I need to do this mod as well as I will have my motor out of the car in a couple weeks. Is there a write up anywhere that describes this process in detail, I searched this forum and couldn't find one. cy98cobra, can you help me?

RippinSVT

SVT Afficianado...
Established Member
Basically, you have to heat to epoxy that holds the runners in (which is at the base of each runner and on the tabs holding each runner to the next) and get it to melt or burn away. This requires putting the intake in an oven at 450 degrees for an hour, or sometimes a torch will work, but that is harder. Then you remove each runner by jiggling them loose, starting at cylinder #1. After that, you cut 2 inches off the leading end of each runner (end with the belled ends), and if you aren't reattaching the belled ends, simply re-epoxy them into the proper holes (number them with permanent marker before removal). On the bottom side of the intake, use a Dremel or other porting tool to remove casting-flash and excess material and generally blend and smooth the ports. Then, match to IMRC plates to them by removing material on the outside edge of each IMRC port. It takes a while, but it's not really "hard." You just have to be careful, because the runners are thin and rather fragile. Here's some more info: http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=557395

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
- You can also remove the runners using a MAP torch
- Ruuners 2 and 7 must be removed first, then 1 and 8, next work inward..I think
- The runners can be installed with or without the belled ends
- The runner boss' must be reduced to increase airflow to the runners
- The ledge must be epoxy'd to prevent the turbulence
- The dividers must be shortened to increase flow thru the secondary port

The SSR website has a complete how-to section, just start clicking.

I have some pictures of my runners that have been removed and welded if anyone would like to see them.

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
You mean like this?

intake_001.jpg

intake_003.jpg

TO THIS:
intake_019.jpg

intake_024.jpg

All I did was read the SSR site over and over and looked at a few things that they did that I tried to enhance upon. It's not hard to do. Just don't take off too much on whatever you are doing. Stay conservative then you could always cut more down the road. -Mark

Users who are viewing this thread