Short Throw Shifter Questions/Recommendations

01greycobra

Built and Blown!
Established Member
My 2004 came with a short throw shifter (although I do not know which kind) The guy I bought it from thought it was a stock shifter that was cut. The shifter was in fact cut, but the threads are still too wide to accept the stock shift knob. I will try and snap some pics after work.

I would really like to use the stock knob, so does anybody know how I can modify it to work maybe adding set screws to hold it in place or somehow fitting it with a larger thread? I have 2 stock knobs so I can mess with one of them.

If not, what is the recommendation for a short throw shifter for the SVT? And does it accept the stock knob?

Thanks in advance for your help!

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member
Yes, Pic would help......

There are only two options available- CFM or Ford Racing/Steeda versions. It appears FSWerks [formerly FocusSport] has discontinued theirs.
Here are links to reputable vendors for purchase-

Purchasing Options:

CFM Performance

http://www.c-f-m.com/performanceparts/pc/viewCategories.asp?SFID=4&SFNAME=Engine&SFVID=27&SFVALUE=Zetec+2.0L+%28SVT+model%29&SFCount=0&page=0&pageStyle=h&idcategory=67&VS3=0&VS2=0&VS4=0

Summit Racing

http://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/shifters-manual-transmission/year/2004/make/ford/model/focus/submodel/svt/product-line/steeda-tri-ax-f-ford-focus-short-throw-shifters?autoview=SKU

Last edited:

01greycobra

Built and Blown!
Established Member
yes, pic would help......

There are only two options available- cfm or ford racing/steeda versions. It appears fswerks [formerly focussport] has discontinued theirs.
Here are links to reputable vendors for purchase-

purchasing options:

cfm performance

http://www.c-f-m.com/performanceparts/pc/viewcategories.asp?sfid=4&sfname=engine&sfvid=27&sfvalue=zetec+2.0l+%28svt+model%29&sfcount=0&page=0&pagestyle=h&idcategory=67&vs3=0&vs2=0&vs4=0

summit racing

http://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/shifters-manual-transmission/year/2004/make/ford/model/focus/submodel/svt/product-line/steeda-tri-ax-f-ford-focus-short-throw-shifters?autoview=sku

uploadfromtaptalk1396710347565.jpg

juploadfromtaptalk1396710439079.jpg

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member
Unfortunately [Based on your pics]
Looks like someone tried to make their own shifter by cutting the original....
Also, looks like they did some type of welding....

Here's a pic of mine- it's the OE/original one [for now....]

IMG_1849_zps6ae709ef.jpg
"]
IMG_1849_zps6ae709ef.jpg
[/URL]

gcassidy

One more lap!
Established Member
[Helping a fellow MACA member]

I have a stock one you can have if you want it.

I went with the Steeda, and it seems slightly better, but I was (am) somewhat disappointed.
Not their fault, my wife has a 2005 ZX3, and we put the Steeda on her's first. It's fantastic, very precise. But then the Steeda on mine just made it a little less sloppy. I'm told it's because of the different drivetrain layouts, and I still need to replace my cable to see if that helps.

Anyway, if you decide against a short shifter and just want to use the stock shift knob, you're welcome to my old stock shifter.

01greycobra

Built and Blown!
Established Member
Unfortunately [Based on your pics]
Looks like someone tried to make their own shifter by cutting the original....
Also, looks like they did some type of welding....

Here's a pic of mine- it's the OE/original one [for now....]

IMG_1849_zps6ae709ef.jpg
"]
IMG_1849_zps6ae709ef.jpg
[/URL]

It also looks like they re threaded the shifter but to the wrong thread size....interesting

01greycobra

Built and Blown!
Established Member
[Helping a fellow MACA member]

I have a stock one you can have if you want it.

I went with the Steeda, and it seems slightly better, but I was (am) somewhat disappointed.
Not their fault, my wife has a 2005 ZX3, and we put the Steeda on her's first. It's fantastic, very precise. But then the Steeda on mine just made it a little less sloppy. I'm told it's because of the different drivetrain layouts, and I still need to replace my cable to see if that helps.

Anyway, if you decide against a short shifter and just want to use the stock shift knob, you're welcome to my old stock shifter.

Thank you for the offer I really appreciate it! Love that kind of stuff on here! I just made a deal for a cfm shifter which I should be getting tomorrow. If it doesn't work out for whatever reason (like if I don't like it) I'll let you know.

Users who are viewing this thread