shortblock

prdtr15

Established Member
Whats the best way to clean up a short block, its been sitting in a garage for a little while and has a thin rust layer on the top. I was thinking for cleanign the cylinder walls to put the motor upside down on the stand and spray it with WD 40 then wipe it clean. Thanks

prdtr15

Established Member
and pics to go with it

cars1037.jpg

cars1052.jpg

96cobrakid

Established Member
are you planning on putting it back in a car like that before a rebuild? If so, then Im not sure the exact way to clean it up correctly. if you are going to rebuild it before it goes in anything, then don't worry about it. it will get cleaned when you take it to a machine shop. but you might want to put a trash bad on it to keep out the moisture

jlauth

Established Member
a trash bag will cause condensation so dont do that you need to cover it in some kind of oil that will keep air and water off of the bare metal surface.

prdtr15

Established Member
im not getting it rebuilt, it only has 40,000 miles on it, it just has been sitting. I am trying to clean the rust out of thecylinder walls (only at the top of 6 of them) without pulling the pistons and honing or any machine work.

calgarycobra

Banned
I'd try scuffing with a scotchbrite pad and some solvent? I doubt a scotchbrits pad will be abrasive enough to mar your cylinder walls. Once clean, use some white lithium spray grease and coat her up.

white98snake

Established Member
calgarycobra said:
I'd try scuffing with a scotchbrite pad and some solvent? I doubt a scotchbrits pad will be abrasive enough to mar your cylinder walls. Once clean, use some white lithium spray grease and coat her up.

that will work then gut urself a engine bag from jegs or summit or any performance shop and seal that thing up in dry place otherwise its gonna go to shit real quick if its exposed to moisture all the time

prdtr15

Established Member
white98snake said:
that will work then gut urself a engine bag from jegs or summit or any performance shop and seal that thing up in dry place otherwise its gonna go to shit real quick if its exposed to moisture all the time

thanks, but its actully going into the car right after it is clean.

Users who are viewing this thread