Shorties

silverbullet02

Established Member
I currently have an 03 with magnapack catback, bassani catted x-pipe. I'm thinking of adding a set of JBA shorties and was wondering what is the difference between equal length and unequal length and what performance can be gained from the two. I'm wondering how much horsepower can be gained by this bolt on. Also wondering if you'll think my exhaust will sound better with this addition.

orange2004cobra

Established Member
Most will tell you to only go with long, or mid length.
I cant see how a good set of shorties wouldnt help, at least with getting rid of some heat.
I plan on doing shorties myself..
L.

SVTADVISOR

The Cobra Doctor
Established Member
We're putting a set of shorties on right now after putting some long tubes on 2 weeks ago. Long tubes are a pain in the A$$! Not worth it. Whatever power gains over shorties are not worth the headaches. You also have the loss of ground clearence under the car along with exhaust leaks. After doing both, go with the shorties you'll be alot happier in the long run.

Swervedriver

Established Member
I don't like the idea of dropping the engine to do a starter swap so Shorties would be the way I go.

nuxx

Established Member
Originally posted by SVTADVISOR
We're putting a set of shorties on right now after putting some long tubes on 2 weeks ago. Long tubes are a pain in the A$$! Not worth it. Whatever power gains over shorties are not worth the headaches. You also have the loss of ground clearence under the car along with exhaust leaks. After doing both, go with the shorties you'll be alot happier in the long run.

After I see how Christian's car does with them, I might have to pick up a set to compliment my 2lb lower :)
-Peter

Silver 03 Cobra

I'm running 99/01 Cobra JBA 1 5/8 Cat4Ward headers. My last dyno pull made 503 rwhp SAE and 550 rwt with the stock unported Eaton. I think they are worth it. I think JBA's are one of the few shorties that are worth the money.

rezcobra

Established Member
Originally posted by Silver03Snake
I'm running 99/01 Cobra JBA 1 5/8 Cat4Ward headers. My last dyno pull made 503 rwhp SAE and 550 rwt with the stock unported Eaton. I think they are worth it. I think JBA's are one of the few shorties that are worth the money.

Not to flame or anything but did you check to see how well the ports lined up on the 03 heads and the 99-01 header flanges? The 03 does have a different exhaust port and the earlier headers could actually be hampering your HP numbers in spite of the fact you have good numbers.

silverbullet02

Established Member
Thanks for the replies guys , they really helped me decide to go with them. How do you'll think the car will sound with the shorties. I'm hoping it sounds agressive.

FOURCED

3 honks and I own you
Established Member
I'll put in my .02 as I've done headers on my car, and thought I would list what I think are the pro's and con's of them.

I swore up and down I'd never put long tube headers on my Cobra. I've heard all the negative things about them, and didn't want the headaches. So I was all set on a shortie headers but the only manufacturer I'd consider was JBA... and they were $600 for the set. I thought that was a bit too rich for my blood.

After talking to a few people about the benefits of long tubes... I closed my eyes and said "okay" and got the MAC long tubes, with the rest of their exhaust. Let's face it... putting headers on a DOHC motor is a PITA period... no matter what style they are.

The pluses I see with the headers are that torque is increased, all the way through the rpm range. I can't prove it as it's not been on the dyno since the exhaust was on, but you definitely can feel the difference. I haven't lost any ground clearance with my car... as I go over speed bumps, etc just as before with no problems. You don't have to drop everything back out to change the starter... if you leave the very top starter bolt out. I didn't do this... but I know several people that do it this way and have run it for many thousands of miles with no problems.

The only drawbacks thusfar I've encountered is the extra heat through the floorboards... and my starter is giving a slight hiccup as the solenoid is really close to one of the header tubes. I can fix it... it will just take some time.

Sorry for the long post... I hope the information is beneficial.

Shannon

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
I have the newer JBA's for the '03 Cobra on my car. These are the titanium coated ones. They really help keep the underhood temps down and I saw an increase across the board.

U.M.

silverbullet02 - you can listen to them in the sound file in my sig.

Wiked03

Established Member
Originally posted by Uncle Meat
I have the newer JBA's for the '03 Cobra on my car. These are the titanium coated ones. They really help keep the underhood temps down and I saw an increase across the board.

U.M.

silverbullet02 - you can listen to them in the sound file in my sig.

Where did you order those?

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
Im the one they are putting the new jba shorties on. Havent driven it yet but they said it greatly improved the throttlw response and the seat of your pants feeling. Ill get it back and head down to the dyno to see what the changes are, but it sounds like its going to be fairly decent.

I suspect that results will greatly vary depending on what other mods your have. sort of like the TB, if you do that first you get very little gain, but if you do other things and then do the TB you see more gain.

I believe, especially in supercharged cars, that this applies to headers as well. The stock headers on our cars are atrocious, big heavy cast iron headers that all share one pipe, instead of 4 seperate tubes that feed into one larger tube.

I dont know about long tubes (except they are an even large pita to install and you may run into other problems) but with shorties you can keep your current exhaust system, they are significantly easier to install ('cause you can actually get to the bolts, long tubes the tubes are in the way).

as with anything your results will vary, just like all the variances from cobra to cobra. is it worth it? ill let you know soon.

42RCODE

To Many Toys !
Established Member
I also have a set of JBA shorties on my 03 Cobra,
just like Uncle Meat says they are worth it.:rockon:

Fred:beer:

BuffDigits

Bling - Bling
Established Member
so my initial impression is, damn, the throttle response is greatly improved, the boost comes up faster and its a bit deeper sounding on the exhaust.

at the dyno (yesterday, hot, humid, pouring down rain) and no tune, I saw about 10~12tq and 8~10hp increase. normally I would say that isnt much, however, that isnt just peak increase, that across the entire rpm range.

so where I made 350 I made 360, where I made 360 i made 370 all the way up the curve at increase 12tq, 10hp the entire way since my last dyno, the two lines never touched.

on a side note, the last dyno was done after a ported blower and no tune as well. (i wanted to get both things done before retuning the car). a/f is still good 11.8~12.0 but wobbles all over the place and is lean at low rpms (it use to be completely flat at 11.5 all the way)

so the blower and the headers have obvious impacted my prior tune, which is to be expected. so now its time for a retune to see what can be squeezed out of it.

the car feels really strong though and my funky wobble i had at 5k-6k is gone (where the hp would fluctuate up and done a bit that last 1k).

so again ill reserve judgement until its tuned gain. its currently running a fairly conservative tune overall(not much timing in there).

so when i get back from tune ill give an update and just how much the ported blower and headers bumped me up overall :)

VENOMOUS 10TH

TexasMofo
Established Member
Damn, just when I thought I was done with this pig, you guys give me more ideas...:idea: (Help get rid of the heat)
How long does it take to install some shorties and what do they retail for?
:beer:
Scott

1svtfan

Shaken, not stirred
Established Member
JBA's website only lists a generic part numer for 4V Cobra's. Is there a new shortie header for the 03' - 04's ?:shrug:

1svtfan

Shaken, not stirred
Established Member
Does anybody have the new part number? I've been checking vendor websites but none so far list it.

Users who are viewing this thread