Shorty headers

00 white lightn

Established Member
For those of you who may have done shorty headers. I bought the bbk shorty headers. Installed them, a little tough to do i might add. ( in the backyard) BBk states they will go in with no mods required. Well when you go to put on your egr tube you find out another story, So i tried torching it and bending it to get it to work. But stainless steel is not easily maleable. So i got tired of trying. I fabbed up my own tube. Fired the truck up went for a drive. IT was missing and jerking under light throttle when you first let off of the gas. I discovered it was the tube itself. The factory tube has an orfice in it. So i put the same size office in my tube. Fixed the problem completely. Does anyone have any recommendations for a 2000 lightning as far as boost levels, Is a 6 lb pulley to much for a 2000 model (blow out plugs) or would you guys run 4 lbs to be safe

svts4shawn

Banned
i say 4lber

installed the bkk shorty ceramic headers and it was a bitch

i didnt have a problem with the egr tube (mine is a 04 though) the oil dipstick tube was sorta in the way though that was an easy fix

make sure those bolts are tight i had a couple loose one and a week later i was in the muffler shop getting new gaskets put on

both sides for 110$ next time i would of just had him do it for the full 150$

ive noticed engine compartment temp is lower as well as cool down... i like em

s|ck

Established Member
Should have went longtubes man... I would say fack it and say throw a 6lb'er on there unless its your daily driver.

DolSVT00

Established Member
For those of you who may have done shorty headers. I bought the bbk shorty headers. Installed them, a little tough to do i might add. ( in the backyard) BBk states they will go in with no mods required. Well when you go to put on your egr tube you find out another story, So i tried torching it and bending it to get it to work. But stainless steel is not easily maleable. So i got tired of trying. I fabbed up my own tube. Fired the truck up went for a drive. IT was missing and jerking under light throttle when you first let off of the gas. I discovered it was the tube itself. The factory tube has an orfice in it. So i put the same size office in my tube. Fixed the problem completely. Does anyone have any recommendations for a 2000 lightning as far as boost levels, Is a 6 lb pulley to much for a 2000 model (blow out plugs) or would you guys run 4 lbs to be safe

boost and blown plugs is a myth, I know built whipple motors running 4 thread heads........ How you change your plugs or how often you change them however would be the culprit of the plug rocket.

80,000 miles here 5# lower 2.80 upper for the last 20,000 miles on my 2000 (daily driven plug launcher..........not)and again "it's the tune"

ecoastkid

Established Member
Exactly...plug spitting frequency does not go up with boost. Proper torque on the plugs determins it. If you havent already, put a fresh set of plugs in and MAKE SURE you get an inch-pound torque wrench and tourqe them correctly. Some anti-seize on the threads isnt a bad idea either.

Dr. Matt

Dr. Matt
Established Member
BBK's suck! I have them and put them on when I put in my built motor. EGR tube required extensive mods, had to mod my exhaust flanges because the bolt spaces were different, had to put a dimple in one tube to clear a part of the head, and the studs they give have a shoulder that is too long so the flange nuts jammed on when I tried to get them tight enough to seal. Of course then two of the studs snapped off in the headers when I went to take them off to install my stall converter. BBK's SUCK!

Users who are viewing this thread