Should domain name costs be more like real estate?

ElscottHavoc

It's all your fault.
Established Member
When I launched my website, I purchased a .com, .net, and .org and the total cost is about $45 per year for the 3 domain names. Actual hosting is additional.

Anyways, there's another thread on here about a scam, and it involves seemingly 2 dozen different domain names and websites - a huge scam network. On one hand, I think this low entry cost is beneficial in getting people with great ideas online for a low cost.

But, I think it also paves the way for scammers to develop professional looking websites and makes it too easy to launch fly by night online companies. You also end up with a lot of people just parking web spots and trying to grab up names they have no intention using other than up selling.

One thing I thought might help is increasing the up front cost so that when you purchase a domain name to maybe $100 to $500, you actually own it as you would a house with the objective of keeping it long term so itd ctually be cheaper in the long run - perhaps maybe with some small residual fees after a few years for any parked domains.

What do you think?

Posted via Topify on Android

Last edited:

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
Hell no.

That would kill start up companies (legit) that put everything into the product(s)/service. How many starting businesses could afford $40k, $100k, etc when many have started out with only a few thousand in their bank if that.

Recognizing scams is just something we have to deal with. What's next, $100 craigslist postings to prove they are legitimate?

FourSixPony

SLO GT
Established Member
They would still drop a few hundred on a domain name and make more then that scamming one person, IMO it wouldn't change anything.

Users who are viewing this thread