Should I be concerned? (Clutch Install)

DHGTerminator

aka The "Bullsnake"
Established Member
Hey gents,

So I got a McLeod RXT into my car a few weeks ago, and I had a local dealership install it along with all the other 26 spline goodies (D&D Shaft over the liberty because I was told it was a better piece), new FRPP TOB, Lethal TOB Sleeve, Fiore quad and adjuster, etc, and I LOVE the feeling of the clutch, just not so much the release point (near the top of the brake).

So driving in most gears is fairly comfortable, but I have noticed one thing... With just normal cruising, if I shift into 4th, around 1700-2k rpms, the drivetrain seems to have a vibration to it. 4th is the only gear that seems to do this, and I know 4th is a 1:1 gear, so do you guys have any idea what it could be, and if there's any cause for concern? I talked to the guy a week or so ago and he told me the input shaft had no play with the factory shim (I didn't order the shim kit). I'm just worried that maybe there WAS play from not using the right shim, and that I'm going to tear something up when I go WOT in 4th for my street tuning in a few weeks. Thanks ahead of time.

Dakota

slowr w/o blowr

Established Member
4th gear is direct drive through the transmission. Curious to see if the input shaft is properly shimmed....... Just read through the rest of your post. I'd definitely look into the input shaft.

Speed Demon

Established Member
the input shaft is 4th gear. unless the tech that installed the input shaft checked the free-play with a dial indicator the input shaft is probably not shimmed correctly

DHGTerminator

aka The "Bullsnake"
Established Member
the input shaft is 4th gear. unless the tech that installed the input shaft checked the free-play with a dial indicator the input shaft is probably not shimmed correctly

What are the longterm effects of this? destroying the input shaft?

RussZTT

Established Member
Yes the input shaft has to be properly shimmed. I can bet thats where it's coming from.

ScottsdaleSnake

Silver Bullet
Established Member
I don't mean to hijack here, but I just had my shop install a new Lethal TOB retainer sleeve when they did my clutch...I kept the stock 10 spline unit...My question is, by just installing a new sleeve, do they have to shim or re-shim the input shaft like what everyone is recommending the OP have done??? Thanks in advance! BTW, Good luck OP!

Users who are viewing this thread