should i bore to a 5.0?

tayl91

Established Member
So I.spun two rod bearings, my motors outta my mach. Im looking to make 400rwhp maybe more. Would boring my block to a 5.0 be a good idea? Seems like making 400rwhp is almost impossible on the stock bottom end with out dumping ungodly amounts of money into. Hopefully a 5.0 would respond better to mods? Im staying N/A. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

glittle75

Established Member
pretty sure you cant bore only to 5 liters, gonna need a stroker as well as a bore. Yes 400hp N/A is alot of money, and if dropping 5-6k on a supercharger or turbo is out of the question, i would say bore/stroke it get some good stout cams, a few bolt ons, they spray it. if your gonna throw forged rods and pistons at it (might as well while its out) then i would just spray the piss out of it. get a good n20 kit with a WOT/window switch and all that good stuff, then have fun. if 400rwhp is your goal, cheaply, n20 is probly gonna be the cheapest way. build a good stout N/A car then spray it. I would personally build a forged stroker if i was you, then try to pick up a nice used KB or procharger. but definitly go for a KB first, im biased now that I have mine. :)

tayl91

Established Member
Well if I was to do one or the other (bore or stroke it) which would be better for the power I want to make? I'd like to do both but im sure I don't have the money.

glittle75

Established Member
stroker is what is going to be most of your power gain, most times a overbore is just to get good, clean, true cylinder walls again. overbore will give you maybe 4-5 c.i.'s, stroker is going to take you to 302ci straight away. just make sure you buy a forged stroker assembly, might as well while its apart. hate to have to go back in to forge it later if you manage to get boost money. if I was you I would build a strong n/a car first, then decide what power adder you want. whether its boost or gas. get a stroker, some longtubes, cams, and every bolt on you can throw at it. that alone if tuned well will net you close to 400. then spray it to your goals.

tayl91

Established Member
Thanks for the info. How much more HP should the striker give over the stock block? And where can I find a good kit?

glittle75

Established Member
google it man, srsly, there are so many options out there for stroker kits, and the HP gain is dependant on supporting mods. if you search here you will probly find someone with a setup that you like, and you can read through to find out what HP gain they saw. I personally have never stroked a modular, so i couldnt tell you. i went straight to the Kenne Bell on the Mach.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Well if I was to do one or the other (bore or stroke it) which would be better for the power I want to make? I'd like to do both but im sure I don't have the money.

You can make your block a big bore which would allow it to be a 5.0. This will allow you to make 400 or more at the wheels.

A stroker is a an option also but the cost will be about the same, $1000 for a stroker crank or $1200 to give your block a 3.7" bore.

You could make up to 450 streetable rwhp with a stroker or a big bore. How much you make will be determined by your needs and budget.

A reliable 400rwhp stroker or big bore would consist of:
-11:1 CR
-Ported heads
-Cams: 234/232, .475", 109LSA, 2 deg advance
-Ported intake (stock length or short runner)
-1 3/4" long tubes

The stock runner length intake will make more tq but less HP than the short runner.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread