Should I buy a 2000 Cobra R?

Andy M

Established Member
I am new to this board. I do participate in another board quite heavily which, by the way, is also powered by the same engine as this board - vBulletin.

I have an opportunity to purchase a one year old (only 1300 miles) Cobra R from a close friend and work colleague. He originally bought the car on impulse and now finds it too impractical for his own personal needs. I have driven the car and fell in love with it! What's not to love, right?

I am looking for impressions from current owners? ie: reliability, maintenance, etc...? This would be my "fun" car and would also be my track car. I have a Nissan Frontier (my daily driver) and also own a gorgeous 2000 BMW M5. However, I have been looking around for the perfect track car for a while now, and I can't think of a better one than the Cobra R??

Thanks in advance for your impressions, both good and bad.

Last edited:

Cobra-R

Established Member
Andy,
I believe you will find out that everybody on here loves their R's. Kevin would be a good person to get technical info from as far as the good and bad aspects of the car, due to his track experience.

The only downside that I have found with the car is, I quickly found that I don't have near enough skill to take the car anywhere close to it's limits. Hopefully that will come with time and practice.

Andy M

Established Member
Cobra-R:

I know what you mean about not being able to really explore the limits of the car. This is precisely why I want this car. I figure if EVER I get good enough one day where this car won't do it for me (not very likely?), I will then explore other avenues.

Bottom line: If you had to do all over again, would you still purchase the R??

Thanks again for your feedback! I am really interested in this car and will likely be buying it soon, before this guy changes his mind or someone else offers him more money for it.

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by Andy M
Cobra-R:

Bottom line: If you had to do all over again, would you still purchase the R??

Andy,
If I had it do do all over again, I would not have waited as I did to buy mine. The only thing I don't like is it's more difficult to enjoy this car on the street. Other than that, I would buy again in a "New York Minute"

Keep us posted on your progress.

Brian

btw. Where are you from? We are having a R get together Sept 7-9 at Road America in Elkhart Lake, Wi. If you are anywhere close, come over and check it out.

kevin

welcome andy,

hope ya want to test the limits cause the r will allow you to do that.

other than adding safety equipment and a diff cooler (a must if you track, $1800 at kenny brown w/o install), i've really only encountered one real non-driver input problem.

if ya plan to take the car to 140+ for a few seconds at a time, lap after lap. ya need to reinforce the front fascia/splitter area. several of us have done it different ways. if ya get the car and need this info let us know and we'll direct ya to where the info already exists.

the clutch is a weak area but really only if ya miss a shift. an upgrade does exist.

tires. track tires will noticably allow the car to go farther on the track. but will also get ya in trouble at the edge with this car.

i don't know what track experience ya have, so i'll stop here for now.

again, welcome.

we do a lot of good stuff, but goofy stuff as well.

like brian said, what part of the country r ya from? we're doing the "1st annual r convention" (93,95,00). let us know if ya can make road america and we'll give ya the info on that as well.

Andy M

Established Member
I live in Houston, TX

Kevin, Brian,

Thanks for the replies and the welcome!

I don't yet have much track time, so I know I will need to take it slow if I end up buying the Cobra R! Thanks for the tips on the front facia and the diff cooler. I had heard from the current owner about the diff cooler.

I live in Houston.... and the month of September is not looking too good for me to attend your R gathering. It does sound like it will be a blast however! :rolling:

I will keep you guys posted on this situation. I hope to gain final acceptance (ahem, I mean approval ;) from my lovely wife soon, so I can get this wonderful machine and call it my own!

Thanks again!

Last edited:

Cobra-R

Established Member
Re: I live in Houston, TX

Kevin, Brian,

Thanks for the replies and the welcome!

I will keep you guys posted on this situation. I hope to gain final acceptance (ahem, I mean approval ;) from my lovely wife soon, so I can get this wonderful machine and call it my own!

Thanks again!

If you need some help in that area, I believe I can be of some assistance.:ud:

kevin

andy,

joej is out of humble and owns an 00r

if ya buy one and want a fix for the front fascia let me know. kenny bumbera in houston is absolutely great for any car thing. he did my fascia fix.

Andy M

Established Member
btw: this is #155 of 300.

I'll keep you posted? Will try to get my wife to go out for a spin in the car tonight. After all, this is Houston and it is summertime! :( Better to go near or after sunset, since we have no A/C.

Andy M

Established Member
Kevin, Brian,

I think I may have a crack in the armor... my wife has agreed to see and ride in the Cobra R tonight.

I will let you know how it goes? :rolling:

Cobra-R

Established Member
Kevin, Brian,

I think I may have a crack in the armor... my wife has agreed to see and ride in the Cobra R tonight.

I will let you know how it goes? :rolling:

Cool, Let us know. You realize it will probly cost you big time!! You will have about a 1 year time period where you pretty much have to give in to thier wants. If not, they remind you of "The $50,000 car" sitting in the garage.

good Luck, Brian

Andy M

Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra-R

Cool, Let us know. You realize it will probly cost you big time!! You will have about a 1 year time period where you pretty much have to give in to thier wants. If not, they remind you of "The $50,000 car" sitting in the garage.

good Luck, Brian

Brian,

Well, she did not get a chance to ride in it, but she said she heard it coming from a block away... and of course my reply to this was "Yeah, ain't it cool!!!!".

I will need to discuss this further with her on Thursday, but I feel confident at this point.

By the way, she has already been reminding me of the expensive toy already in my garage - the M5.. which I paid $83K for. So, I am already used to hearing this. Besides, the Cobra R will have a home of its own - probably at a secure storage facility.

I'll let you guys know tomorrow what the scoop is, but right now it looks damned good that I WILL be the proud owner of this wonderful machine! Man, I can't wait to take it to the track!? That will be some real fun!

Thanks for all the support!

Andy M

Established Member
GREEN LIGHT!!!

Guys,

I just got the green light to proceed with purchasing the Cobra R!!!!!!!
multi.gif

I should be able to close the transaction in the next week or so!

I am so excited I can't think straight right now!

I am looking forward to becoming an active member here, and hopefully meeting some of you guys?

tommylightning

No status!!
Established Member
Way to go Andy!!!
grey_face6.gif

Now make sure you write your name on the bottom of one of it's shoes!
(sorry a improper shot at humor)
anim-magicman.gif

Congrats Andy I am sure you will enjoy it for a long time.

kevin

congrats andy.

now we need to talk ya into bringing it (and maybe your very giving wife) to road america in about three weeks for the "1st annual r convention"

we need more cars and owners.

now if ya can't make it, just send the car and i'm sure we'll find plenty of offers to care for it for you.:D

for quality mechanic care for your care (when ya need it) call kenny bumbera at bumbera performance associates (u can also find him in the yellow pages under bumbera's firestone - it's a front for his race shop)

also, if ya haven't done so yet, scan thru all the posts in the r section for a lot of technical talk on the car's good and bad (very little of the latter).

welcome!!

Cobra-R

Established Member
Congrats Andy,
Great to hear that we have another enthusiastic R owner. If you can't make RA , please put it on your scedule for next year.

Brian

Andy M

Established Member
Thanks Guys!!

I certainly appreciate the warm welcome guys!

I am really looking forward to calling this wonderful machine mine!
s1_liplick_w.gif

Brian,

what is the date for the R gathering for 2002?? and where will it be held?

Cobra-R

Established Member
Re: Thanks Guys!!

Brian,

what is the date for the R gathering for 2002?? and where will it be held?

Havn't heard the dates yet, but plan on the first week or two of September. We will post it when we know to give you as much of a warning as possible.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread