Should I buy a 2000 Cobra R?

Dean95CobraR

Established Member
Congrats Andy! I know you're going to love the car. There is a possibility that some of us will be down at Road Atlanta sometime in March. If you've never been there, it's one to put on your list. A very nice track.

Andy M

Established Member
Originally posted by Dean99CobraV
Congrats Andy! I know you're going to love the car. There is a possibility that some of us will be down at Road Atlanta sometime in March. If you've never been there, it's one to put on your list. A very nice track.

Thanks Dean, I also feel very confident I will love this car!

Keep me posted on the Road Atlanta deal?...

svtguy

Established Member
Congrats on the R purchase. Now, I know you haven't got the car yet, But what SPEED PARTS have you ordered fot it? Come on now and fess up.

BTW, this group of R owners doesn't let our cars just sit in storage. We DRIVE are cars. Take the car to a track (road course) and you will really be pleased with the car.

Paul.

Andy M

Established Member
Originally posted by svtguy
Congrats on the R purchase. Now, I know you haven't got the car yet, But what SPEED PARTS have you ordered fot it? Come on now and fess up.

BTW, this group of R owners doesn't let our cars just sit in storage. We DRIVE are cars. Take the car to a track (road course) and you will really be pleased with the car.

Paul.
Paul,

I figure the first aftermarket upgrade will be the diff cooler. Then probably at some point a roll cage. Dunno what else yet, as I am new to this type of car. I bought my M5 a little over a year ago and have done quite a bit of stuff to it since that time.... so, I am no stranger to "Speed Parts".

Although I will have to store the "R" in a storage facility since I only have a 2 car garage and I already have 3 vehicles! ... I DO plan on driving this machine quite a bit! And YES - I do plan on taking it to the track! I can't wait to hear the Borla exhaust wailing at TWS!
rollsmile.gif

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by Andy M
Paul,

I figure the first aftermarket upgrade will be the diff cooler. Then probably at some point a roll cage. Dunno what else yet, as I am new to this type of car. I bought my M5 a little over a year ago and have done quite a bit of stuff to it since that time.... so, I am no stranger to "Speed Parts".

Although I will have to store the "R" in a storage facility since I only have a 2 car garage and I already have 3 vehicles! ... I DO plan on driving this machine quite a bit! And YES - I do plan on taking it to the track! I can't wait to hear the Borla exhaust wailing at TWS!
rollsmile.gif

Better add a Bassani exhaust to that list, when you hear a R with one installed you will want one also. :)

kevin

ok, i'll chime in here.

andy, go ahead and get the diff cooler, cause ya do need it.

BUT, the next item should definetly be a ROLL CAGE. ya don't want to be on the track w/o one. i say cage cause it gives far more protection than just a bar.

just a thot.

enjoy the car, but drive safe

Andy M

Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra-R

Better add a Bassani exhaust to that list, when you hear a R with one installed you will want one also. :)

Brian,

I know the car already has a Bassini X-pipe... is this Bassini exhaust to replace the existing Borla mufflers/pipes?? and if so, what is the advantage? sound, free-er flowing, looks, etc..????

Cause... it damn sure sounds intoxicating as is?!!! :D

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by Andy M

Brian,

I know the car already has a Bassini X-pipe... is this Bassini exhaust to replace the existing Borla mufflers/pipes?? and if so, what is the advantage? sound, free-er flowing, looks, etc..????

Cause... it damn sure sounds intoxicating as is?!!! :D

Andy,

I believe the bottleneck is the stock Cobra 4 cat pipe. Most of us have been installing the full Bassani sysyem with free flowing cats and muffler. It sounds really great, but the noise level is a considerable amout louder. Some have put on off road pipes, but the additional hp gain supposidly is minimal.

Brian

Andy M

Established Member
Originally posted by Cobra-R

Andy,

I believe the bottleneck is the stock Cobra 4 cat pipe. Most of us have been installing the full Bassani sysyem with free flowing cats and muffler. It sounds really great, but the noise level is a considerable amout louder. Some have put on off road pipes, but the additional hp gain supposidly is minimal.

Brian
Brian,

please explain? So, I assume this "Cobra 4 cat pipe" is in between the headers and the Bassini X pipe? or is it after the Bassini X pipe??

kevin

andy,

the existing system has two restrictors, 2 (98 cobra cats) b4 the muffling.

the new system has larger pipes thruout the system, 2 far larger cats, and larger mufflers.

hence, the system is much more free flowing.

two results, louder (but then i don't think much louder) and less back pressure cause of the freer flow. the less back pressure will cause some back fire in heavy downshifts. the ad claims 35-40 more h[ and tq at the rear. believe it. noticably stronger and i think joe's dyno showed an increase of 37 (both #'s)

BUT, if your'e gonna track the car, get the cage b4 the exhaust. just want'n ya to stay'n alive (sung to the bee gees hit)

svtguy

Established Member
The factory exhaust uses 4 restrictive cat convertors, 2 per side, and is followed by a bassani built X cross over. That part of the exhaust (cats and x) is an complete welded together assembly. The only bassani peice of the exhaust is just the X part itself. Bolted up behind the 4 cat x pipe assembly is a borla cat back side exhaust kit. The borla system has both the left and right exhaust pipes entering a common cambered resinator. The resinator has dual inlets and outlets. The outlets enter into a left muffler and a right muffler and the out of each muffler to the left and right side exhaust tips. Kind of hard to explain, but if you look unber the car you will see what I am talking about.

I have the bassani off road non cat x pipe and the bassani catback side exit exhaust on my R. Nice product.

www.bassani.com has pictures of their replacement systems for the 2000 cobra R's.

Bassani is very good quality exhaust. Do to the less restrictive exhaust, you will notice some deceleration backfiring. Their are computer chips available to remedy this problem along with adding increased perfomance.

Paul

kevin

paul,

who has chips> i need the typr that will fit into the existing computer box. can't use the rotary type or one hanging outside the box.

been look'n around and haven't found anything yet.

thanks

svtguy

Established Member
Kevin, the chips I am referring to, single program or 4 way switch type, plug into the end of the computer on the outside of the computer box. They are small enough that the computer will fit back into its orginal holder in the passenger side kick panel with the chip installed. I do not know of any chips that are installed on the INSIDE of the computer box.

Paul

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by kevin
thanks. if ya ever do let me know. that's one of the scca requirements. i'm checking with nasa if they have some silly rule like that too.

Kevin,
If you want a chip, you could always get one and if you are at a race that has a restriction, just pull it out. It is easy enough to do. Just an Idea.

Brian

Users who are viewing this thread