Should I buy a Bike?

JAXCOBRA99

Established Member
I really want one, more than ever now that warmer weather is approaching but I'm starting to have 2nd thoughts about it mainly over the fact that I happen to live in a very sucky traffic congested city and although I consider myself a very defensive driver I'm a little worried about getting hurt, not to mention everyone that knows I'm shopping for a bike, having to hear their 2 cents about how I'l end up killing myself. It's been over 20yrs since I've been on a Bike so you could say I'm back to being a beginner with the hopes that it will all come back rather quickly. I like the style of the Sport bikes but I'm not really interested in something Super fast. In fact I'm looking at an 05 Ninja 500R.
I currently have the means to buy one and am currently negotiating with a Salesman but there's just something holding me back. Perhaps it's just being new to bikes again Jitters or the haunting words of friends and family telling me how the culture of driving these days have made it worse for bikers. Everyone's gabbing away on their Cell phones, rear ending each other, running red lights/stop signs, etc. For the most part they have a point there. 20 yrs ago when I was on a bike, folks didn't have cell phones. (Dam I'm gettin old)

So anyhow, I'm on the fence.. On one hand I imagine how much I would enjoy riding again and on the other I'm worried about injuring myself due to someone elses neglegence, etc.

I would appreciate hearing your thoughts and opinions despite what side you choose.

Thanks!
B.

P.S. I told the salesman I would sleep on it and let him know tomorrow.

Last edited:

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
some people just have to buy them, and my only word of caution is to wear a helmet and full gear no matter what.

i've seen more people die/get severely mangled in motorcycle accidents than i care to mention. they are "donor"cycles because the rider donates his/her organs when they die. alcohol is involved in many of the accidents, but in the ones where alcohol doesn't play a factor, the accident is almost always another motorist's fault--but guess what?? it doesn't matter when the cyclist is dead, or will never walk again.

do what you have to do, but take every precaution (helmet).

Redfire03

Established Member
Why dont you go take a Motorcycle Saftey Foundation course and see if you still like it. It is also a very good refreseher.

i3ooivl

Established Member
yes.... you should buy a bike immediately.... especially a newer one. however not to be that guy, but you may want to consider something bigger than 500cc's... its really easy to outgrow a 500cc bike. I'd also think about getting a used bike considering its been a while since you've rode so you dont feel so bad if you drop it/forget to put the kickstand all the way down.

AS for people on cell phones.... it happens. You gotta just keep alertful eye and ALWAYS WEAR YOUR GEAR. especially on the short drives.

91hatch

Established Member
id reccoment taking a bike course. and i would start off small and work ur way up. i started on a honda rebel lol. and worked my way up. its always better to start off to small then to get somthin thats to much for u. ive seen plenty of vids and have seen a few bikes in real life that have been crashed because it was too much bike for an inexperinced rider

JAXCOBRA99

Established Member
I would most definitely be taking the MSF Course!. Now about the Full gear.. What exactly do you guys mean by that? I understand the importance of the Helmet and picked out a Shoei RF-1000. I would also be looking into some sort of breathable Jacket with the armour. Is that what you mean or are you talking about those Full Leather race Suits?

As far as the 500cc. I have the opportunity if I wanted, to go with an older 2002 ZR-7S. It's considerably less money and a 750cc (One of those Nekid bikes with the upper fairing only). I belive it's considered more of a sport Touring bike. I read great reviews on both of them and thought the Ninja might be better because it's more modern I guess 6speed vs 5 and from what the reviews, it was plenty zippy without having too much power as to get me in trouble etc.

JJP SVT

Established Member
If you've ridden before, you may quickly outgrow the 500. I'd get the 750. I concur with the MSF. I have Tour Master jacket and pants. Very comfy and long lasting. Not to make you paranoid but I ride like everyone CANNOT see me. This forces me to be in a better lane position and be more aware of the conditions. Have fun and ride safely!

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I have wanted to get a bike for a long time .. but insurance rates for me at the time I was really looking were crazy talk. I am like you ... hate the thought of getting myself killed because of some other persons stupidity ... and afraid of spending huge amounts on a crotch rocket and having to lay it down .... so ... I settled for a convertible instead ... have had one ever since .. all the benifits .. with the added protection of 3400lbs of steel surounding me in case someone else gets stupid ...

Stangette03

JC's Jules
Established Member
Full gear = helmet, jacket, gloves, boots. Don't be one of those "cool" guys who rides around without gear - trust me, it doesn't look cool.

I also think starting out with a 500 or 600cc bike is best.

Good luck!

Torched_03

Stock!
Established Member
I would look at a bigger bike. Kawi 650R, Suzuki SV 650, Both are very good bikes with good power and a comfy ride. SV is a naked bike and the 650R is a full faring. My GF is looking at the 650R as a new bike. You can also look at a Suzuki Katana 600. Under powerd with alot of weight but they are cheap to buy.

I would diff. wear gear. Gloves...Leather...Icon, Joe Rocket, First Gear. I picked up some From ebay. for cheap. I picked all my gear from ebay. Cheap.
Jacket...Most have armor in them. You can pick Leather or Textile. I have a Joe Rocket Atomic 2. Nice jacket with armor and vents when it gets hot. Also a nice helmet. Hope this helps...

Cobra03FLA

Titties & Beer!
Established Member
I agree on the gear. I always ride with helmet gloves and my alpine star jacket with the extra padding and slide protector in the back. No as far as having to start on a small bike I disagree. I hadnt rode for 15 years then I got my 1000cc Honda rc51 crotch rocket. As long as your not a little guy you should be fine just because its a ten second bike that can go 175mph it can still go real slow too :)

lemosley01

Right Wing Conspirator
Established Member
Jax - sounds like your head is on straight. Don't worry about what everyone says. Take the MSF, READ (Proficient Motorcycling by David Hough is good), and get the bike. If you REALLY aren't sure, you might want to look at an older Ninja 250 or 500 - that way if you decide motorcyling is not for you, you can sell it and not take much of a hit. Because they are beginner bikes, they are generally in demand.

A 500R is a great bike and you won't 'outgrow' it soon, unless all you do is go in a straight line. Not sure what Jacksonville is like, though. I have heard Florida is basically 'land of the straight line roads'.
I remember a guy that had a 500R we rode with back in the mid 90s. He had no trouble at all keeping up with us in twisty roads.

Go to www.sportbikes.net and read the stickies in the General and New Riders forums. They will help out a lot.

tdo

Established Member
Too many people are more worried about life than living.

Buy the bike. Enjoy living.

kirks5oh

kirks5oh
Established Member
tdo said:
Too many people are more worried about life than living.

Buy the bike. Enjoy living.

if you ride long enough you will be in an accident, plain and simple. it is also true that most people will be in a car crash or two in their lifetime. the chances of being seriously injured in a bike crash are much higher than in a car crash. spend a couple months following the squad around in the summer, or working in a trauma e.r., and you'll have a different perspective on motorcycles.

JAXCOBRA99

Established Member
kirks5oh said:
if you ride long enough you will be in an accident, plain and simple. it is also true that most people will be in a car crash or two in their lifetime. the chances of being seriously injured in a bike crash are much higher than in a car crash. spend a couple months following the squad around in the summer, or working in a trauma e.r., and you'll have a different perspective on motorcycles.

Kirks50h,

I truly appreciate your input and respect what your saying here.. but do you honestly feel thats accurate though, that if you ride long enough your going to be in an accident? I'm assuming you work in the medical field or somewhere close enough that has given you this different perspective on bikes... Are you in a position to know whether the bikers were wearing full gear or not? I'm certain with how laid back laws are that bikers don't have to wear gear, helmet, etc that the fatalities and serious injuries have risen significantly but I'm curious of those people that do wear the full gear, how many of them are seriously injured given their not out trying to kill themselves riding dangerously, doing stunts..

Also for anyone else that knows, How well does the gear protect the rider? I know the helmet and gloves work but what about the jackets?

Thanks for all the advise folks!.

B

tdo

Established Member
kirks5oh said:

You assume I know nothing of what you speak.

I have been riding for 25 years and have had a motorcycle accident about 7 years ago (hit a deer and went down).

I still ride (see signature). I am going to enjoy life, not live in fear of it.

Ride like an idiot and the rider will pay the price. Ride responsibly and you can enjoy it.

Riding is not for everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread