Should I buy this CSVT

OutKast

SVT=Fast
Established Member
So I went to look at a CSVT, 1998, 105k miles. I took it out for a spin. Did not drive that well. ABS light was on and brakes pulsed when I was braking. After about a mile of driving, car would stall when I pushed in the clutch and came to a stop. However it seemed to idle fine before I drove it. The air filter was very dirty, so I don't know how much that came into play. Also, the clutch engaged very high in the pedal but grabbed really hard. WOT in 3rd and 4th seemed to lack power, but I don't have anything to base that against. The thing that worries me most is that the dealer has decided to sell the car as-is. They told me the owner just decided not to try and fix it.
They are asking 3250, but will come down some. There is also a warranty I can buy extra for it for 425, 1yr unlimited miles.
Based on the above, is it worth buying, or is this car too far gone?
Any info would be greatly appriciated.

brapple

Established Member
pulsing brakes might just need new rotors and pads. abs light could be a sensor or it could be the abs unit which is money.

the iac might need to be replaced.

no adjustment to the clutch. it might be fine, it might not be. if it grabbed good then it should be ok.

lack of top end power could be secondaries that are stuck closed. look under the tb when you rev the engine above 4k rpm. you should see a bar move forward if the secondaries are openning.

to buy it is a hard call. it could all be rather simple problems that just need to be taken care of. then again you didn't mention anything that could be a major issue. if you like it get them down on price and go from there.

hop over to CEG and see if there is anyone local to you that could look at the car also or let you drive theres to see what the difference is.

Silver Bullet2

Established Member
So I went to look at a CSVT, 1998, 105k miles. I took it out for a spin. Did not drive that well. ABS light was on and brakes pulsed when I was braking. After about a mile of driving, car would stall when I pushed in the clutch and came to a stop. However it seemed to idle fine before I drove it. The air filter was very dirty, so I don't know how much that came into play. Also, the clutch engaged very high in the pedal but grabbed really hard. WOT in 3rd and 4th seemed to lack power, but I don't have anything to base that against. The thing that worries me most is that the dealer has decided to sell the car as-is. They told me the owner just decided not to try and fix it.
They are asking 3250, but will come down some. There is also a warranty I can buy extra for it for 425, 1yr unlimited miles.
Based on the above, is it worth buying, or is this car too far gone?
Any info would be greatly appriciated.

What kind of dealer is this?? selling car as-is but then offering a 1 year warranty? If existing problems covered under 1 year warranty then a bargain. Get them down on price as much you can and pay the extra $425 for warranty. Get all problems fixed under warranty and drive worry free for your first year.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
You only need to push the clutch pedal in about 1" to shift it. Its not like a mustang where you have to push it in all the way.

Talk'em down and fix it for a fun/decent DD.

gomach1

5.0hh
Established Member
You only need to push the clutch pedal in about 1" to shift it. Its not like a mustang where you have to push it in all the way.

Talk'em down and fix it for a fun/decent DD.

i was thinking the same thing when i got mine, a total different feel then my stang. they usually shift and go in gear very easily....

Users who are viewing this thread