should i do the work myself???

03mgmcobra

Established Member
so i got a quote from repair shop for my 87 gt...it failed smog check in nv for every parameter at idle and speed. the shop quoted me $1200 ish for replacement of "vacuum lines that go to the upper intake manifold, an egr valve, egr sensor, and an air check valve(?), labor included". Yeah I would hope for that price. jesus...:cuss:
should i just see if they will order the parts, and try to tackle myself? this seems like an ass rape, right?:fm:
i am fairly mechanically inclined...just had trouble diagnosing the failure. OBD 1 is kinda a question mark w/out fancy machinery. what do you think? Thanks

Double0fox

2 extra cylinders
Established Member
I would say so, All those parts, probably would run you in the $100 ball park through Napa, or Autozone. So do it yourself (given that is the problem), and you just saved yourself $1100 bucks.

90_red_lx

ASLOW50
Established Member
Thats a ripoff dude. All that crap is all around the upper intake, hardly anything IF anything has to be disassembled to even go to that area. The jobs not hard at all, I would even question if all that stuff even needs to be replaced.

Oh yeah, pull the codes, theres a way you can do it with only a paper clip, but the site that explains it is currently down and I can't remember how to do it, it's been too long. Very easy to do though, as for the meaning of the codes you can look those up on the internet or pm me as I have a book with the codes in it.

Last edited:

03mgmcobra

Established Member
what is that site? i am kinda obd 1 challenged. yeah, i'm pretty sure i can do the work myself...rip-off artists iof u ask me. :shrug:

FunkyBoss

Established Member
If I remember correctly, the haynes manual explains how to read the codes and has a discription for each code, OBD I and II.

Users who are viewing this thread