should I?

SVTL Joe Joe

Banned
i have 23k miles now and im bored. so bored im thinking about removing the ole eaton and cleaning up the IC. So the question: should I? I hear the coating on the rotors is known to come off. I also hear it just generally gets pretty dirty underneath there. Am i jumping the gun and wanting to do it too early? (as far as miles are concerned) I personally think I should clean it out just in case and that my miles really arnt as low as the people whose telling me not to take it off thinks they are......so am i being a stickler about it or should i go ahead and do it?

uncooked

Established Member
You will be surprised at how dirty it will be at even that low of mileage.

Do it and make sure you have a oil separator on it when you button it back up if you don't already.

Do the plugs while your at it, much easier with the blower off.

SVTL Joe Joe

Banned
You will be surprised at how dirty it will be at even that low of mileage.

Do it and make sure you have a oil separator on it when you button it back up if you don't already.

Do the plugs while your at it, much easier with the blower off.

beat ya to them! haha already installed my seperator and torqued my plugs down 2 months back. ill most likely take a look at the plugs anyways now that you reminded me i sorta wanted to check my gaps.

and you said them? when i said gasket. is there another for the IC? would make sense but im gonna price some out and i cant trust the dipshits at murrays to tell me what my truck actually has

thanks! :beer: -joe

uncooked

Established Member
I did

Intercooler cleaning
Blower Oil
Painted blower / plenum
Spark Plugs
Grease on cops
4 lb pulley
and a new 90mm maf

Don't want to shoot a plug like alot of guys have lately! Check them out while your in there.

I really don't see a point of changing the gaskets, when you see them you will understand. Maybe after a few more times I will, but no need on the first time.

Follow the proper torque spec putting the blower back on and you will be golden.

Garage was in a mess for 2 nights but it was worth it !

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...9316-intercooler-plugs-pulley-maf-no-56k.html

DolSVT00

Established Member
I've taken mine off 8 or 9 times and alwayse used the same gaskets and bolts. If your worried about it leaking just use a small ammount of high temp gasket sealer on both sides of the metal gasket's.......... I did it and picked up some vacuum......

uncooked

Established Member
Where did you grease on your COP's?

I should clarify that, Cop *springs* Just dielectric grease on the contact points .

I wasn't to impressed with the crappy springs. This spring I will try to get some of the 1 piece rod replacements. Must be a much better path than thoughs loose ass springs!

SVTL Joe Joe

Banned
anybody know the torque specs off hand? and the gap size too im runnin a 6#er.

im gonna get started tomorrow

and uncooked you should paint your c&l elbow! would look sick with your blower painted and im for sure gonna steal your idea for cuttin off the coolant lines lol

Last edited:

OttoCobra

Established Member
I've done this after 3,000 miles and found lots of varnish to clean.

Can't say it helped at all, but it sold me on doing a cooling mod and adding a pcv oil-catch filter mod.

-enjoy!

mcarbine

2003 L #2504
Established Member
Im gapped at .034 with a 6# lower and TR6 plugs. I cleaned my intercooler at 46k exactly twice what you have and mine was drenched in oil. It took 8 cans of brake cleaner to get the thing clean since the previous owner never had an oil separator so I would def do it. Good luck and keep us posted. Matt

SVTL Joe Joe

Banned
Im gapped at .034 with a 6# lower and TR6 plugs. I cleaned my intercooler at 46k exactly twice what you have and mine was drenched in oil. It took 8 cans of brake cleaner to get the thing clean since the previous owner never had an oil separator so I would def do it. Good luck and keep us posted. Matt

yep im runnin the tr6's and .30ish is what i remember gapping them to last time

ill keep ya posted thanks :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread