Show me your aux oil cooler setup plz...

sleepless

Established Member
I'm thinking about installing a separate oil cooler. I'm aware of two kits from Evans Cooling which Lethal Performance sells.

I'm also vaguely aware of a Mocal setup for the Cobra, but have no details.

It's been a while since anyone has posted about their oil coolers so I'd appreciate advice, pics, whatever you've got.

Thanks in advance,
Pete

PS - I already have the Fluidyne radiator, Fluidyne h/e, and LDC cooling mod. Car runs hot at the track so am thinking that separating the water and oil cooling duties instead of the stock water-to-oil cooling setup which makes the radiator do double-duty.

racebronco2

Established Member
Almost all coolings mods do is allow you to run longer amount of time on track compared to stock. Your car will still go into limp mode on the hotter days. The only cooling mod that does lower engine temps while on the track is opening up of the hood vents (enlarge the opening). I usually run 20*-30* cooler then other s/c cobra's. Last weekend in 95* weather i was running
205* on track. One guy witha c6zo6 with upgraded radiator was running 225*.

sleepless

Established Member
racebronco2 -

I can run about 15min in 90F before it starts to heat up. I'd like to do 25-30min. I didn't get limp mode, but saw the water temp needle reach the "3/4" position (halfway between normal and red hot); so backed off for about 4 min and it came back to normal.

Seems I'm close.

Also, I see you are running a 2.93 pulley; that's close enough to my 2.81 so we should be running similar temps.

Any info on the hood vent mod? Is this the same as the common "hood vent mod" of removing the inner hood liner and opening up vent flap? I've don that. Is there another mod?

Last edited:

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
What about a lower temp T-stat? I know 160° is generally considered too cold for most street cars. On a car that sees alot of open track duty if the T-stat could open sooner, it might delay the 200+° temps for a lap or two more. Just thinking out loud here.

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
sleepless said:
I'm thinking about installing a separate oil cooler. I'm aware of two kits from Evans Cooling which Lethal Performance sells.

I'm also vaguely aware of a Mocal setup for the Cobra, but have no details.

It's been a while since anyone has posted about their oil coolers so I'd appreciate advice, pics, whatever you've got.

Thanks in advance,
Pete

PS - I already have the Fluidyne radiator, Fluidyne h/e, and LDC cooling mod. Car runs hot at the track so am thinking that separating the water and oil cooling duties instead of the stock water-to-oil cooling setup which makes the radiator do double-duty.

Oil cooler and cooling system pics...

http://mustanglife.tenmagazines.com/ew/mygallery.asp?id=3874&album=1&pos=3

7K track miles and I have never seen limp mode :-D

sleepless

Established Member

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
How much is the Evans peice? Stock GT oil filter adapter is $107 from Tousley and it does the same function.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
the stock gt oil filter adapter merely divorces the oil cooler from the oil filter base. it does not give you a place to route the thermostat bypass because the thermostat and bypass are in the intake manifold on a gt of that vintage. and trust me, you do want to lose the lame 4v thermostat setup on the wrong side of the radiator.

you want the hose to the overflow tank/degas bottle to be as close to the radiator outlet as possible, and you want the thermostat bypass to be routed back as close as possible to the water pump inlet. otherwise as soon as you get on the gas, it will overpressurize the system and make it puke when its not hot. further reading on the subject can be found at the place where the fords are modular in a thread titled 'keeping your cool' in the terminator section.

you NEED an oil cooler thermostat with this mod if its a street car.
frontleft.jpg

here's my oil cooler; i need a second one as it still buries the peg on my oil temp gauge. im going to put one in the fender like the other guys have done in the other oil cooler threads. the lab has said my oil is fine, but now that i've gotten the coolant temps under control, i know i can get the oil under control with enough oil cooling capacity and airflow.
oilcooler.jpg

Last edited:

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
sleepless said:
Great pics, thanks.

So, did you do only these or more?

1. replace stock oil filter mounting with Evens item
2. relocate thermostate
3. relocate oil filter
4. install cooler and fan in front of driver's front wheel

Anything else?

Thanks!

Pete

Pete,

I also install the left cylinder bypass kit (LDC?). I would also get a new coolant bottle with a real radiator cap :??:

:beer:

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
here's my oil cooler; i need a second one as it still buries the peg on my oil temp gauge. im going to put one in the fender like the other guys have done in the other oil cooler threads. the lab has said my oil is fine, but now that i've gotten the coolant temps under control, i know i can get the oil under control with enough oil cooling capacity and airflow.
oilcooler.jpg

Why would you put the oil cooler in front of the radiator? That's has about the same effect as stock oil cooler system pumping heat into the cooling system. I would move it to the fender or behind the left fog light.

:beer:

Last edited:

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
mostly for packaging. there's no room behind the left fog light becuase thats where i put the oil filter and oil cooler thermostat, and i have a brake duct hose there too.

at the time, i had a stipulation for this project that everything factory still had to work (eg., cant lose the fog lamp), and i wasnt cutting through the front bumper or the fender.

now that the car has a few years on here, i'd like to re-do this with an oil cooler in each front fenderwell, dual oil filters, and -12 instead of -10 line.

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
mostly for packaging. there's no room behind the left fog light becuase thats where i put the oil filter and oil cooler thermostat, and i have a brake duct hose there too.

at the time, i had a stipulation for this project that everything factory still had to work (eg., cant lose the fog lamp), and i wasnt cutting through the front bumper or the fender.

now that the car has a few years on here, i'd like to re-do this with an oil cooler in each front fenderwell, dual oil filters, and -12 instead of -10 line.

That sounds like a good plan. IMO I think -10 line is ok for oil flow and pressure.

If the coolant temps didn't stay down I was going to move the HE to the to the right fender well. Thank god there fine :D

sleepless

Established Member
03 Cobra Toy said:
Oil cooler and cooling system pics...

http://mustanglife.tenmagazines.com/ew/mygallery.asp?id=3874&album=1&pos=3

7K track miles and I have never seen limp mode :-D

David, I'm going for the same setup as you have. Evans has everything need to get rid of the stock oil cooler setup and relocation of the t-stat and oil filter. All I need is the oil t-stat, oil cooler, fan and hoses to add the oil cooling.

So, could you please tell me which Mocal cooler and fan you used? did you use a cooler with a builtin t-stat? if not, which t-stat did you use?

The plan is to have it all installed before a nice and hot track day on July 12th.

Thanks for all the info and great pics, you've already saved me a lot of time.

BTW - The tech help folks at Evans are FANTASTIC!!

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
sleepless said:
David, I'm going for the same setup as you have. Evans has everything need to get rid of the stock oil cooler setup and relocation of the t-stat and oil filter. All I need is the oil t-stat, oil cooler, fan and hoses to add the oil cooling.

So, could you please tell me which Mocal cooler and fan you used? did you use a cooler with a builtin t-stat? if not, which t-stat did you use?

The plan is to have it all installed before a nice and hot track day on July 12th.

Thanks for all the info and great pics, you've already saved me a lot of time.

BTW - The tech help folks at Evans are FANTASTIC!!

I would use the Mocal oil thermostat
Mocal 235 Matrix 25 Row -10
7" Fan 6.5 fan blade

www.batinc.net

Good luck with the install :beer:

David

LargeOrangeFont

Raise your fist in resist
Established Member
Thinking aloud here....

I'm running a Fluidyne radiator and Evans relocated thermostat.

I don't really want to go with the full evans setup with the oil thermostat etc.

So if I keep the factory oil cooler, and add an auxilary cooler down stream, would that help at all or would the OEM oil cooler negate any extra cooling?

Thoughts?

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
LargeOrangeFont said:
Thinking aloud here....

I'm running a Fluidyne radiator and Evans relocated thermostat.

I don't really want to go with the full evans setup with the oil thermostat etc.

So if I keep the factory oil cooler, and add an auxilary cooler down stream, would that help at all or would the OEM oil cooler negate any extra cooling?

Thoughts?

It will not help you much. You need to just junk the factory oil cooler.

sleepless said:
Thanks!

BTW - which pulley are you running? I seem to recall you have a 2.93".

Yes 2.93" 460+ RW HP/TQ works for me on the track :D

Last edited:

Venom525RWHP

Established Member
Behind the lower left opening with some ducting feeding from the spotlight hole...

Not a good pic, but it is the only one I have.

IMG_1127.jpg

What IT2's are you guys seeing with the 2.93 & 2.81 uppers? Two weeks ago I ran SHM Test Day on Mosport in 30-32C( around 90F ) and both oil and coollant was stable, but IT2's was in the 160's with only a 3.100 upper.

diablostang

Established Member
Is it possible to use a tranny cooler as an oil cooler? Reason I ask is, I have a nice tranny cooler with braided lines sitting around, and I need an oil cooler for my Cobra.

Users who are viewing this thread