Shredding Blower Belts

ram360

Running on 7 Cylinders
Established Member
So the other day I noticed my blower belt had a split between one of the ribs maybe 4" in one spot then again in one of other ribs about the same amount (goodyear gatorback belt). I thought it was just normal wear so I bought a new belt (goodyear gatorback) put it on, drove the car for a day and this new one did the same thing. WTF? The belt seems to be tracking true but the belts are just splitting in between the ribs in certain spots (in my case between the 1st rib from the blower and the 5th rib)? Billetflow idlers, 3.5 upper, 4lb lower. Is it something that's possibly a flaw w/ the belts? Id assume an alignment issue would show wear on the edges of the belt but thats not the case. Any ideas?

Last edited:

ram360

Running on 7 Cylinders
Established Member
I did recently put in a new alt a few weeks prior. My old one had an aftermarket pulley w/ spacer and I reused it when i installed the new one.

Tims97SVT

Established Member
^napa belts are made by gates. Ditch the goodyear they are junk. Personaly the only brand belt to use is a gates. You can use either the HD which is green or the regular micro v which is black. Bloth are outstanding belts.

04azuremach

Loud fast and fun
Established Member
I've shredded black ones. Have yet to shred the green one. It came off once and got tangled (happened opening day at MIR). Pulled it all off and was totally surprised to see it fully intact. Still on the car today.

Tims97SVT

Established Member
Yep the green ones are strong. Never had bad luck with the regular black ones but I'm an upper only and no port so I'm not killing the belt yet.

ram360

Running on 7 Cylinders
Established Member
Thanks guys, so I have the gaterback p#4080830. I'm looking up gates (called napa) They have a belt (NAPA 25080830) I assume this is the black one?

There is also a GATES K080830 but I have no idea if this is the green or not? Anybody know.

TRBO VNM

the gates, K080830 is an older part number from what I understand. they now start with the 25.... those are the black belts and all I use. some others have had good luck with dayco belts.

Users who are viewing this thread