Sickest you’ve been?

paluka21

Established Member
Had a bad case of viral pneumonia in my early 20's. Most of the symptoms that mimic flu, but doctors could not determine what was wrong with me. Fever, body aches, congestion, and extremely tired and ill. Tested me for everything under the sun from HIV, to syphilis, mono, and other common causes. I lost upwards of 20+lbs in a matter of two weeks because I wasn't eating. I remember wanting to die.

In 2005 I caught influenza A, H2N3 I believe the weekend before SuperBowl. I was dating a girl at the time and helped she and her mother shovel their driveway. Started coming down with a sore throat that night and general fatigue. Thought nothing of it until later when my temperature went over 102. Spent the next several days in bed with my fever going over 103-103.5 and I sweat so badly from the fever, the dye on my bed sheets faded on the mattress. I decided to go to the ER on day 4 or 5 because my chest was tight and rattling but overall I felt generally better albeit weak. Got diagnosed with the flu and also a secondary bacterial infection that turned into bronchitis, most likely from bad sinuses that I chronically have. I recall having a fever of 100 or better for over 10 days even though I was on antibiotics for the bacterial bronchitis.
I'll never forget how sick I was. I tell my wife about it often but she's never had the flu or anything bad enough to keep her in bed, so she has a difficult time understanding how bad it is.
So now I use ethyl alcohol hand gel anytime I am in public and try to avoid places that get overly crowded during peak flu season. Just isn't worth it.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
I got a very wicked auto immune system where my parents exposed me to chicken pox about 7 or maybe it was 8 times when I was before turning 10 (not all of that but all the years prior 6-10) and I didn't get it. So my body is slowly killing itself off little by little as the years go by just turned 45 last July but I'm going to live what ever life I do have with no complaints.

As nutty as it sounds, exposing your kids to others with chicken pox was the norm back during our days. The reason I heard is contracting it as an adult is worse than as a child. When South Park did an episode on such a thing, it was, I guess, the thing to do.

snakecharmer

Established Member
I can't compete with several of you above. Wow. Prayers for you.

My worst ever was Strep when I was 33. I had never had it before and according to my mother I never had it as a child. After 4 days if literally zero sleep and having gotten to the point I could not swallow the antibiotic any more I drug myself back to the dr. I had to write on a pad as I could utter no sounds whatsoever. When the nurse came in with a BIG needle filled full of some pink antibiotic, I was only too happy to drop pants and let her stick it where I knew it had to go. They gave me something to help knock me out because I was a zombie. When I woke up several hours later because my 17 pound Maine Coon was standing on my chest, I looked at him and had no idea why there was a cat in my house, much less 4 of them. Took my several mins to come to my senses. That night I think I slept 13 hrs straight.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
Cats? Xmas of 2000 I had strep and all I know is I went to bed and when I woke up there was a clothes washer in my bed next to me. No clue.

Users who are viewing this thread