sidewall size question

tennis_pr0

Established Member
So my current setup on my 14 Supercharged Gt is 305/35/20 Nitto drag radials in the back and 255/35/20 nitto street tires in the front. I have the AMR 20's all around, 8.5 in the front and 10 in the back. I love the grips of the drag radials but it's gonnna be time to switch soon and I would rather just put all four summer tires on rather than going with drag radials again. I am thinking either the MT ET streets in the same sizes I have now, but would rather go with the Nitto NT555 G2's. Only thing is, those come in 305/30/20 in the back, not in 35 sidewall. Would putting a 30 sidewall on the back and having 35 up front change ride height too much or would that be okay? I typed in the dimensions in the tire height calculator and it looks like the front would be 28.4 and the rears 27.2 so a difference of a little more than an inch...

Edit: So typing in the sizes in this tire height calculator, it seems the more narrow the tire is the smaller the height of the tire gets. I don't understand why that would make a difference. But it seems if I went with 255/35/20 up front I would be at 27 for my height and if I did 305/30/20 in the back I would be at 27.2. So I would be closer to an even ride height if I went to a 30 sidewall in the rear as opposed to keeping all four at 35 sidewall...

Last edited:

noldevin

Established Member
Edit: So typing in the sizes in this tire height calculator, it seems the more narrow the tire is the smaller the height of the tire gets. I don't understand why that would make a difference. But it seems if I went with 255/35/20 up front I would be at 27 for my height and if I did 305/30/20 in the back I would be at 27.2. So I would be closer to an even ride height if I went to a 30 sidewall in the rear as opposed to keeping all four at 35 sidewall...

The sidewall number is a percentage of the width. So 35% of 255 is pretty similar to 30% of 305.

Users who are viewing this thread