Silly V-Rod....

SRT8tech

2013 Super Bee
Established Member
So, Im driving back to Jacksonville on I95 from my dads condo near Cocoa Beach FL. Helping him out with cleaning it and getting all the stuff out of it before he sells it.

Im cruising at around 75-80 and I see a bike coming up fast behind me. Im in the fast lane so I move over to let him pass. As he gets beside me I see thats its a pretty new V-Rod. I dont know what mods he has done if any. I dont have a clue about the bike, but know what it is. He slows down and throws a couple revs at me. WTF?? :) I throw a few back at him and he shakes his head at me like I dont have anything for him. Soooooo, I downshift to 3rd gear and really let him know im down to letting him see my tail lights. As I said before Im at about 70 or so in 3rd gear. He hits it first and puts about a bike on me. As I hit the throttle I go by him like he was sitting still and put train lenghts on him. As I slow back down to a speed that im not gonna get thrown in jail for, he goes by me and doesnt look at me or anything. yeah, I owned him. :bash:

Gotta love the TVS!!!! I guess he saw what near 650rwhp and tq can do in a heavy 2012 GT500.

Driver500

Established Member
Not to rain on your bike kill but he let off or couldn't ride. 650 to the wheels in a gt500 isn't going to cut it against a new Vrod.

I'm not hating. I've raced them with more power and less weight than you and it was about even. If you put train lengths on him he let off or was nowhere near the proper gear.

da5deuce

heatsoaked
Established Member
Not to rain on your bike kill but he let off or couldn't ride. 650 to the wheels in a gt500 isn't going to cut it against a new Vrod.

I'm not hating. I've raced them with more power and less weight than you and it was about even. If you put train lengths on him he let off or was nowhere near the proper gear.

Well a win is a win isn't it? OP said that the bike hit it first which in the racing world rule book means that he's racing. Whether he mishifted or started in a higher gear is none of OP's concern. Nice kill OP. Not tryna argue with you drivers but just saying.

Sent from my tuna boat note using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

SRT8tech

2013 Super Bee
Established Member

Hmmmmmm, so a low 12 to possibly high 11 sec bike that traps in the 110-115 range should be close or beat my car that traps near 130???????????? I dont get it. :shrug:

Hell, ill even give a 2012 V-rod in the low 11's @ 120 and thats still no where near enough.......I did say V-rod and not new V-MAX Thats a whole different bike there. LOL

Last edited:

Franz

Speed Freak
Established Member
We've been through this before.

Highway roll from 60 mph+ (especially in this case from a 75-80 mph highway roll), a really high-performance car will be pulling the bike within a few seconds nearly every time. The aerodynamics and lack of top speed are simply NOT in the bikes favor.

OP didn't say he outran a 1000cc sport-bike- that would have been a different story. He said he outran a cruiser. Even if it's a V-rod, a car that traps 130 mph in the quarter WILL outrun the bike in a highway roll starting at 75 mph.

Nice kill.

BlueSnake01

Established Member

V-Max are only trapping low 120's stock, V-Rod's are lucky to trap 120. The V-Rod also has a speed limit of 140-ish so I find very believable. I will say though, they're very beautiful bikes, very mean looking.

Looks like the one you race had to be very modified.

Franz

Speed Freak
Established Member
V-Max are only trapping low 120's stock, V-Rod's are lucky to trap 120. The V-Rod also has a speed limit of 140-ish so I find very believable. I will say though, they're very beautiful bikes, very mean looking.

Agreed. The V-Rod is actually the only Harley I truly like. Beautiful bike and my favorite part is that Porsche helped design the engine. No wonder it's the best engine HD has! :burnout:

RED06RED6SP

Established Member
I've had 3 different V-rods. Stock they make about 78hp to the rear wheel. My 07 V/H SE ran a best of 11.7 at Bristol w/pipe & download and a semi-pro rider. A 650rwhp car is gonna suck the head light out of a V-rod. Pipe, breather, and protuner will get ya about 107rwhp. The V-rod didn't have a prayer. Good kill OP, you bully. :)

Last edited:

B7BlownSnake

Established Member
Vrods arent geared to do much good from a roll.

Very true. I have an 08 Night Rod Special with a V&H Competition pipe & a Screaming Eagle race tune. It made 120 rwhp on a fairly warm day. From a dig, they are quicker than you expect from a 600+ pound bike, but from a freeway-speed roll they don't do as good. Now this guy may not have been in the right gear (3rd) but it doesn't surprise me at all you beat him.

williesgt

Established Member

what???a 2011 vrod night rod only runs a 12.3 at 114 mph??? i think a shelby can take one

Franz

Speed Freak
Established Member
what???a 2011 vrod night rod only runs a 12.3 at 114 mph??? i think a shelby can take one

+1

The V-Rod would have its hands full enough in a hole-shot quarter mile race against a 650 rwhp GT500. But from a 60+ roll the V-Rod would get waxed!

Sticks n Stones

Goat Rider
Established Member

New Vmax is a 140+ trap bike with at or just over 200rwhp on most dyno's. They were targeted straight at hayabusa and ZX14 territory when they came out. Ended up being more hype than fact but still a fast bike in a straight line.

Users who are viewing this thread