Silverado SS 1/8 miles times

SVTJES

Established Member
Well I went to the local 1/8 track tonight with balmy 88 degree tack temp and moderate humidity. There was a Silverado SS running on and off throughout the night. The SS ran a best of 9.99 and consistently pulled a 10.00 with .65 reaction times. My 03 L, stock ran a 9.15 consistently with 88 degree weather and a horrid 1.00 reaction time. I question the $43,000 price tag on the new SS, what kind of market are they looking for?

SVTJES

terrible one

American Made
Established Member
those SS's are dogs they make no sense to me a sport truck that costs a ton with no go?? i like the earlier years with the big block in it
JD

Vanride69

west bound and down
Established Member
i do not even like the older big block 454 chevy SS silverado's. They were so slow they would barely get outta their own way! They had such a dumbed down version of the 454 that it only put out like 260bhp. Torque was no real problem, and they were easily tuned, just not all that from the factory, IMO.

Hardtop

Established Member
The Silverado SS is is a huge POS.:bash: Let me see, AWD, 4 wheel steering, extended cab. Who asked for that crap in a muscle truck. Doesn't the Denali already cover that segment of the market? What you are left with is an over weight pile thats not fast enough to be a sport truck, or luxurious enough to fit in the upscale truck class.:shrug: Somebody needs to take the crack pipe from the boys at Chevrolet truck engineering. I have seen one promising concept truck from them. Its got a 6' regular cab, RWD, and a 6.0 motor. Less frills and weight too. That truck could be a contender, instead of a pretender like the junk they are pawning off as a SS.:cuss:

Bruce

BlownSVT00

Established Member
Originally posted by Silverstrike
Same here best 1/8 is a 10.057:burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

In what vehicle? The Marauder or the L?

Not that launching an 03 Cobra and launching an AWD 5500lb truck are anywhere the same.........there was a guy at the local 1/8 mile 2 wks ago in a STOCK 03 Cobra that couldn't break out of the 9.0's.......and had several runs in the 9.9's......with 3 passengers. I don't know if the traction control being on or off is a huge deal on the launch......but I assume it's not good.......But this dummy probably had his on and was embarrassing himself and SVT.......even some of the "faster" Hondas were running with him.......so sad.

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
The 4200 LBS. of black sedan without power assistance in the engine department.

The best 1/8 for the L is a low 8.6 something have to go look at the slips from Saturday.:beer: :beer:

Last edited:

Blackgeetee

Established Member
I don't know why they can't bring back the GMC Syclone. That little truck hauled serious azz, especially for it's time....

SNCBOOM

Established Member
Was the Syclone/Typhoon faster than the L? They were AWD as well right.

SNCBOOM

Established Member
D@mn that's fast....why can't GM do something like that now? they're idiots

03CobraBro

Established Member
I think the syclones were running high to mid 13's... Typhoons weighed over 4000lbs so they were closer to low 14's from according to what I'v heard alot of the guys say. Good power plant though, alot of room for improvement. (Alot of guys had to chuck the stock mitsubishi turbo the syclone came with from the factory due to problems with those setups literally burning up.)

(p.s. alot of people get the power plant in the Syclone confused with the Buick LC2 out of the GN. Those were not the same engines.)

Last edited:

BlownSVT00

Established Member
Either way the 4.3 L is a great platform............if I am right, I believe the bore and stroke is the same as a 350 and your pistons and rods are the same........I have heard it described as a 350 with the front two cylinders removed. Either way, I have a 97 4.3L with over 127K miles on her sitting outside waiting for another commute tomorrow morning and have had 0.0 problems and I drive the **** out of it. If it wasn't for the L..........the S-10 would be the one running into the 12's really soon.

Users who are viewing this thread