Simple trunk light mod

tonydahose

Established Member
i did a search and didnt see anything but i might have missed it so if this is a repost mods can delete it or everybody else can ignore it till it gets off the 1st page. The light in my vert is crappy at best. i tried a led bulb and it was a little better but not much for the back of the trunk. i bought one of these on ebay and here is how i hooked it up. i drilled one hole into the trunk liner, if you have some black wire you can probably get away without drilling.

Here is the light and some 3M velcro, you can get these free from the tollbooths if you already have an IPass. Go thru the booth with a person in it and ask them for some more velcro for your other car.
100_3187.jpg

Here i ziptied the cords in the back of the light so they arent seen in the front. The velcro actually was sticking to the liner without putting the other side of the velcro on but i wasn't sure if it would hold after a few bumps. The light comes with 2 brackets but i didnt want to drill 4 more holes so i stuck with the velcro.
100_3188.jpg

Here are the wires that i connected into right by the left side of the truck in the wire bundle. It is the green with the orange stripe and the brown or grey with a white stripe.
100_3189.jpg

and here is how it looks installed, this is in my garage with all the lights off.
100_3190.jpg

100_3192.jpg

no comments on the pink bungee cord holding the sub in place, i know i need to get a black rubber one. I didnt feel like making any more holes in the car to attach the sub. I put one hook of the bungee cord under the side liner and the other to the clip for a cargo net and it has stayed in place so far. also you might notice the led strip light in the truck, i was going to go with that but the wires werent long enough and when i went to extend it the current wasnt making it through. I tried it a few times with some sodder as well. it just wouldnt work. also the wires are too tiny for wire strippers, if you go with one of those led light strips you can melt the plastic off, that was the best way i found of stripping them. I want to put one of the lights (the one i installed) under the hood of the car with a switch on the side. Do you think it will get too hot under there to mess up the light? I would use the same 3M fastners. any thoughts?

edit: i just went out to take a picture and the light might just barely fit in the circled area, if not i would try it with the strip light. The angle would be perfect for lighting up the engine bay when placed in that spot.
100_3193.jpg

edit part II: the light will not fit in that spot, it will fit on the hood between the SC and the radiator but it looks like crap. I think i will go with the led strip light for that spot. it is small enough not to be noticed until it is turned on. Also i took off that stupid hood liner and used some more velcro pieces to keep the heat vents open. if it rains i can just swing them back into place.

Last edited:

04redfireRO

DRACULA'S COUNTRY
Established Member
Very nice job.
The lightning in the trunk really does suck on these cars. I was actually playing with a strip of LEDs that i have and trying to figure where to install it in the trunk so i can see something in there..

tonydahose

Established Member
i have one of those in the trunk too, i tried that before i came up with this mod. the light was brighter but it still didn't light up the back of the trunk.

Users who are viewing this thread