Single 76 hellion kit draw thru MAF problems

2001Snake

It will be fast one day
Established Member
Hey fellas I have a single 76 precision billet/BB on my car. I have the BA3000 MAF making 787hp thru the T56 on 20psi with meth.

Here's the deal... I'm sure some of you have the same problem with the single kit. Every single time I get in any boost at all and let off the gas the BOV back washes the MAF and it dies. I have to try to keep it running after I lift and I'm sick of it! I feel like I'm driving a old beater that someone gave me in the 60's...

I'm looking for suggestions on what to do. I want blow thru with a BA5000 slot style but I don't have time to build the piping to do so and I can't find it anywhere to buy. I will keep it draw thru if someone knows a way to make it work. I originally wanted to extend the maf into the fender to get it farther away from the BOV but there's not much room to do so because there's already a cold side pipe running thru there.

Any options will be much appreciated! Ill go with the best idea and pay pal you $5! Lol

Jay:rockon:

TRBO VNM

Jay,

I should have taken video when I had mine so people believed me. I have NEVER had blow thru on any of my turbo cobras and never had the stalling issue. Yes at first I had it, but after jon got his hands on it and fine tuned the car I never had an issue after that. I agree that blow thru would be the way to go, but imo, some tuners are not spending enough time to work it out. And frankly, Jon never spent much time at all to get it right.

That said, I explained what to do in pm. Very easy and all the parts are out there to make it happen. Get a SCT sensor, the VMP 75mm housing, (2)2.5"-3" transition couplers with clamps for the 3" side(you already have the clamps in the kit for the 2.5" side) and get a MAFia interface to convert the plug style. I have an extra BOV flange that you have welded on the intercooler pipe between the turbo and intercooler.

You fit the VMP housing in the piping going from the intercooler to the tobdy within the fender.

Lastly, cap the original location of the BOV on the polished pipe and slap a filter on the end of the turbo and have it retuned.

this is where I got the couplers and clamps for someone else.

Intake Pipe Reducer

2001Snake

It will be fast one day
Established Member
Thanks Jason. I wish I had a good tuner that could get it right but I don't. I'm new at tuning with the pro racer package so it's over my head also. Ill probly do what you just explained in your post. Seems like the same thing I was thinking. I'd like to have a pipe made to get the s shaped pipe out of there but don't have time for that really.

itSSlow98

Established Member
I have exactly what Jason said. I have a BA3000 in the fender and the Mafia was used to extend the wire(mafia is turned off because I dont need it). The original BOV location was welded shut and the BOV was moved right at the bend out of the intercooler before it turns up to the fender where the MAF is now located. I have zero driveability issues at all anywhere it drives like a stock car.

brady_f

Established Member
That said, I explained what to do in pm. Very easy and all the parts are out there to make it happen. Get a SCT sensor, the VMP 75mm housing, (2)2.5"-3" transition couplers with clamps for the 3" side(you already have the clamps in the kit for the 2.5" side) and get a MAFia interface to convert the plug style. I have an extra BOV flange that you have welded on the intercooler pipe between the turbo and intercooler.

Jason,

Would he not have to go with the 83MM housing due to the power he is currently making (750+ rwhp)? I'm about to order the same setup so I just wanted to verify the 83MM is necessary to support 800hp...:shrug:

nstag8r

Crazy SVT Poster
Established Member
I had a buddy make 890 through a 3 inch MAF housing with a HPP twin kit. I am finishing up my car now and used a VMP 75mm MAF housing with a SCT Ba5000. I would think you would be good to about 900rwhp with a 3 inch cold side. I converted to 3 inch from the intercooler to the throttle body and put my BOV in the intercooler pipe from the turbo to the intercooler.

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

Jason,

Would he not have to go with the 83MM housing due to the power he is currently making (750+ rwhp)? I'm about to order the same setup so I just wanted to verify the 83MM is necessary to support 800hp...:shrug:

No. I did that on another car with the VMP Ba5000 and the 83mm housing and the guy had some turbulence issues because of the range of the sensor and tube size. I trusted someone that was supposed to know something and it backfired. That sensor or the SCT ba5000 in the 75mm housing will work great.

brian97cobra

The Infractionator
Established Member
I had same issue and I also an going blow thru as we speak.

im also told that you will gain some hp from doing this as well

Red Poison

Over it
Established Member
No. I did that on another car with the VMP Ba5000 and the 83mm housing and the guy had some turbulence issues because of the range of the sensor and tube size. I trusted someone that was supposed to know something and it backfired. That sensor or the SCT ba5000 in the 75mm housing will work great.

Ya don't say!?!

:)

Last edited:

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member

Jason, I am surprised you had those issues with the 83mm housing. That should be a 3.25" ID. I usually run a 3.5" or 3" when I do the blow thru setups on these cars. Never once had a problem. When you get up to 4.0" is when issues come about. Then again I use the HPX sensors, not sure if that makes a difference. I know you mentioned turbulence issues but what was the car doing? Were you having trouble getting the tune dialed in?

TRBO VNM

Jason, I am surprised you had those issues with the 83mm housing. That should be a 3.25" ID. I usually run a 3.5" or 3" when I do the blow thru setups on these cars. Never once had a problem. When you get up to 4.0" is when issues come about. Then again I use the HPX sensors, not sure if that makes a difference. I know you mentioned turbulence issues but what was the car doing? Were you having trouble getting the tune dialed in?

I didn't tune it but two other well known respected tuners had their hands on it and both said the same thing. The larger tube with the larger sensor wasn't working well. Put the smaller sensor in, I think the ba3000 slot sensor and it worked great.

Users who are viewing this thread