Single turbo or 03 cobra swap?

which route for the hardest pulling street car?

• 2.1 KB and built 2v

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • hellions single turbo and built 2v

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • 03-04 Cobra 2v-4v swap with pullied eaton

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters

customperforman

Drivin the Big Iron
Established Member
Guys, how are things? rhetorical question.

anyway, i read the thread on the comments people make after riding in Cobras and thats what im after. seriously, i am wanting a seriously fast street car. it will be my daily driver and wont be on the track but three or four times a year. its just too hard to get any money out of my 99 GT/ Vortech combo to upgrade to a cobra and the insurance isn't worth it. so, i was thinking of options keeping my car. why do i want to change: on the street, i dont get the pull from my centri blower and gears that i want. i want a low-midrange pull that only torque can provide. a legit 500 hp at the wheels.

option 1: 2.1 Kenne Bell blower with LTs and 4.10 gears (i currently have the 4.10s and may step down to 3.55s or so)

option 2: hellions single turbo kit. will this pull like i want it to? would the 4.10s work well for around town driving? i know the higher gears allow the turbos to spool up but maybe this would help 1 and 2 gear traction?

option 3: look on ebay or somewhere for a wrecked 03-04 Cobra to swap as much as possible over. i built a pretty mean 03 with a ported eaton, 2.88 pulley, LTs and CAI that i loved.

on either of the other options, i would build a forged bottom end, but if i swapped for the cobra engine, i would get a blower and built engine for about the same as the other options plus forging my 2v engine. and the added bonus of 4v heads.

sorry for the long post, but i am obsessing.

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
If your centri isn't giving you the neck-snap feeling you're after, why are you even considering going turbo? If that's what you're after, stick with the positive displacement blower. If it were me, I'd do the forged bottom end, p/p 2v heads w/ cams, the kb, and a six speed trans (6th is great out on the highway for fuel mileage). 2v's can make gobs of power. Nothing wrong with them at all...they just reach their ceiling sooner than the 4v but it won't be a problem to reach the 500hp mark with them.

Chrome_GT

Established Member
TrueBlueGT said:
If your centri isn't giving you the neck-snap feeling you're after, why are you even considering going turbo? If that's what you're after, stick with the positive displacement blower. If it were me, I'd do the forged bottom end, p/p 2v heads w/ cams, the kb, and a six speed trans (6th is great out on the highway for fuel mileage). 2v's can make gobs of power. Nothing wrong with them at all...they just reach their ceiling sooner than the 4v but it won't be a problem to reach the 500hp mark with them.

I agree with this, but i've heard twin turbos give alot more bottom end then a centri blower,dont know about singles though...

If it were me i'd just look for a used 04/03 cobra shortblock and replace the pistons with something 17-18cc dish then PP the heads and custom grind turbo or blower cams, and then either twins or a KB 2.6... I've read that the
2v with a proper setup will make MORE power with a KB than a 4v.

customperforman

Drivin the Big Iron
Established Member
TrueBlueGT said:

looking at hellions 2v kit; well, the dyno sheet of their shop car with 517 ft/lbs is why. by the time you PP the heads and add cams, you have made up the difference in price and the turbo has more room to grow. i was also thinking that the slight lag in power would allow the tires to grip somewhat.

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
customperforman said:
looking at hellions 2v kit; well, the dyno sheet of their shop car with 517 ft/lbs is why. by the time you PP the heads and add cams, you have made up the difference in price and the turbo has more room to grow. i was also thinking that the slight lag in power would allow the tires to grip somewhat.

sounds reasonable. also sounds like that's what you'd prefer to do. Not a bad choice at all:rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread