Sink / Plumbing Q

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
My sink has one of these air reliefs that comes out of the top and it connects the drain line from the DW to the disposal. Pipe is shaped lime a Y. Is there a reason this is needed? I rarely see them installed any more and when i installed the sink / DW in my old house i ran the DW drain line right to the disposal with no issues.

Plan is to eliminate it unless there is a specific reason i should have it. It is leaking right now so it would be easier to eliminate it verses replacing.

THX!

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
No sure on that "Y" deal, but my dishwasher drain line goes directly into the disposal.
EDIT: If you're replacing the disposal make sure you take the knock out plug out where the DW line goes in.

Last edited:

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
It is called and air gap. It facilitates in the flow of water to the disposal so that water will not sit in the line and stink up your house. If you dont use an air gap above the sink , it is required to run the hose line in a upward direction with a half loop well above the sink drain from the dishwasher.

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
Thanks all! Gonna run the line up high above the drain as stated above. Guess it will work like a p-trap running it that way.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
The discharge hose from the washer will always have water in it. Running the line high with a loop down to the drain and /or disposal has a siphon effect, pulling more water out as it exits at the end of its pump cycle, leaving less water in line further away from drain. Run the hose as high to the top of the sink as you can.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread