skunk smell is back

tigerwoods

Established Member
had the car for over a year and i had clogged cats for a while and a bad skunk smell. both went away(i thought) i was not down on power very much on a dyno in april. well i have noticed that the exhaust is not as loud as it used to be and the smell is back. the car feels like it lost 100 hp. should i take it to ford and have them do something? i hate that smell.

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
I would bring it back to Ford. Or go and buy an aftermarket catted H/X if you want to spend the $$$.

orange2004cobra

Established Member
Its not the cats, its not the cats, its not the cats..
I have ran my 04 with, and without cats, the smell comes and goes either way..
L.

94cobra

When will it be fast enuf
Established Member
I just had the belt on the supercharger replaced and all of a sudden I started to smell the skunky smell. And I wasn't getting full boost either. The belt was slipping and still does a little bit. That would be the reason for the lost power too. Replace the belt and see what happeneds.

john

tigerwoods

Established Member
the car has stock pulley and belt on it. i have never put another pulley on. the car hardly ever sees boost. it is probably the easist driven 03 cobra there is. but thing thing that makes me think it is the cats is how muffled the exhaust is. it used to sound nice and raspey and now it sounds like there is a cork in the end of the tailpipe.

sam

Established Member
something you could try is find an big empty parking lot one night.when you get there, look at the cats. get back in the car and make a few 1st gear passes. on the last pass look at the cats then to see if there glowing red.

orange2004cobra

Established Member
I am 1000 percent sure it is not the cats...
SVT Techline is 1000 percent sure it is not the cats.
You will "feel" it if the cats are clogged...
Its not the cats, its not the cats, its not the cats...
I have no cats, I have the smell.
Its not the belt either...
Smells worse in the very front of the car if you try to track it down...
But I do know, for sure, without a doubt, its not the cats, because I have none, and I still get it off and on...
L.

tigerwoods

Established Member
if you notice in the first post i said the car feels like it has lost 100 hp. something is wrong on the exhaust side. the exhaust is muffled and sounds crappy. the car is down on power and wont get out of its own way. the smell is the last thing i am concerened about. i want the car to run correctly. i know you gus think the smell is not the cats but you are wrong. when i first got the car i read on here how alot of people had clogged cats and that smell. it is the cats the baffling inside is getting to hot because it is blocking the flow of air. do a search of clogged cats and see what they say.

sgt d

tejas mile!!!!!!!!
Established Member
Originally posted by orange2004cobra
Its not the cats, its not the cats, its not the cats..
I have ran my 04 with, and without cats, the smell comes and goes either way..
L.

i agree. when i drove mine off the lot i had the smell, thought it was the carwash guy burning clutch. a week later i put on a prochamber and the smell went away until a week ago.....and now it is gone again.......:shrug:

BLWN03

I'm a Hustla Baby!!!!!
Established Member
16k miles and i still have the smell also...i thought it smelled a little bit like Marijuana more than skunk smell.......LOL..i thought maye one of the kids in the detail shop "Dropped" something in my car before delivery..

Jay

ghostrydyr

Established Member
my car has the same smell

I thought it was the cats too but my car is not down on power and the cats doesn't glow when I get on it:shrug:

orange2004cobra

Established Member
Cats smell like rotten eggs.
its not the cats, but waste your money and time if you want...
Just trying to help..
Good luck..
L.

fEEsh

Established Member
Originally posted by BLWN03
16k miles and i still have the smell also...i thought it smelled a little bit like Marijuana more than skunk smell.......LOL..i thought maye one of the kids in the detail shop "Dropped" something in my car before delivery..

Jay

LOL! I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought the smell was marijuana.

Whitten

Grocery Run
Established Member
IT very possibly could be the cats, but the only way to know is to find a O/R x or h and see. Of coarse you could always put another stock setup, but what is the fun in that.

As for the smell. Bad cats smell like rotten eggs. They still run, but do smell exactly like rotten eggs. A fouled or clogged cat can and does smell just like bad weed, or skunk.

LightningRod

Ok! I dont think its the cats! I think it is the smell of plastic that is getting hot. (Get ready to flame):burn: I went for a drive in my vert with the top down in cool weather. around 48 or so. I had the heater on high for quite a while and the skunk smell got so bad out the floor vents I ended up turning the heater down??? Don't know how that would make any sense because I still get the smell on hot days with the air conditioner on. but the hotter the day the worse the smell.:??:

tvuser

Established Member
Take it to dealer cats are warranty for 8years 80,000 ml and not voidable by federal law.
ps by the way I work at a dodge dealer

orange2004cobra

Established Member
Its not th cats.
For the millionth time..
I , and others, have no cats, and still get the smell...
L.

Users who are viewing this thread