Skydiver Survives Mid-Air Collision (with other jumper) And Impact With Ground

joeg215

Readin posts, rollin eyes
Established Member
The entire video is pretty intense.

Heres the despcription:

"At 2,500 feet, my jump partner flairs his canopy causing it slow down rapidly. I entangle with it and he cuts away. Unable to fly a ball of nylon effectively, I impact a cornfield breaking my pelvis, back and neck causing instant paralysis. As I lay waiting for help, spinal shock begins to set in paralyzing my diaphragm and breathing on my own becomes impossible. Rescue breathing is performed as I lose consciousness. Paramedics arrive and I'm med-flighted to UW Hospital in Madison, Wisconsin where I awake days later after surgery and begin life as a quadriplegic. It's taken me four and a half years to be able to watch this video.

Stupid Hurts"

[youtube_browser]_9fHrJbj1SY[/youtube_browser]

Superhawk2002

Established Member
He is correct by his title -- stupidity hurts. He is lucky he didn't kill him and his friend. There is a reason for seperating once you open your parachute. Intentionally flying in that close proximity is just asking for it.

I have over 50 jumps in, almost all military. It is right there on top of my most intense adrenaline moments ever. Nothing beats it, esp at night. It is one of the biggest reasons I miss the Army. If you have never had a chance to jump out of a plane, you should definitely put it on your life's bucket list.

Last edited:

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Quadriplegic wow that is horrible. Never going skydiving.

Last edited:

Sapperstang

Established Member
He is correct by his title -- stupidity hurts. He is lucky he didn't kill him and his friend. There is a reason for seperating once you open your parachute. Intentionally flying in that close proximity is just asking for it.

I have over 50 jumps in, almost all military. It is right there on top of my most intense adrenaline moments ever. Nothing beats it, esp at night. It is one of the biggest reasons I miss the Army. If you have never had a chance to jump out of a plane, you should definitely put it on your life's bucket list.

If you're talking about military static line jumps, skydiving is not much of a comparison. About the only thing the two have in common is that you're jumping from a plane with a parachute. It pretty much ends there.

But I do agree with you. I am both a licensed skydiver and a former paratrooper. :rockon:

ponyboyisaac

Now Kaioken...times 10!!
Established Member
That was pretty intense. God bless those people who helped him and "breathed for him".

Planter

Banned
Quadriplegic wow that is horrible. Never going skydiving.

:dw: your chances of being hurt or killed while skydiving are pretty damn low.

504 fatalties in the past 8 years. that's not a whole lot.

Skydiving Fatalities - Fatal Skydiving Accidents and Statistics

average of 63 per year.

you have a better chance of getting run over by a car while walking on the sidewalk, or getting killed in a car accident

Vid wont play

problems on your end, cause it worked just fine me.

Xx_Black-out

Dilly Dilly
Established Member
:dw: your chances of being hurt or killed while skydiving are pretty damn low.

504 fatalties in the past 8 years. that's not a whole lot.

Skydiving Fatalities - Fatal Skydiving Accidents and Statistics

average of 63 per year.

you have a better chance of getting run over by a car while walking on the sidewalk, or getting killed in a car accident

You're stats are kinda skewed. Yes, getting killed would be bad....but becoming a quadriplegic would be even worse! The number of seriously injured during skydiving aren't in that "508" I'm guessing.

94venomV8

Established Member
how are my stats kinda skewed?

here are so more accurate stats.

Skydiving Safety

Also keep in mind though that being hit by a car is taken out of total population and sky diving accidents is taken out of a lot smaller number of people. Example: If 508 people died out of a total 5000 jumps per year thats a 10% chance.

Do you know the percentages? Just asking not being a smart ass

Ducci

Established Member
That was crazy.

I've always wondered though, if you weren't so lucky and die in a skydiving accident like that, does your life insurance cover you still?

joeg215

Readin posts, rollin eyes
Established Member
Also keep in mind though that being hit by a car is taken out of total population and sky diving accidents is taken out of a lot smaller number of people. Example: If 508 people died out of a total 5000 jumps per year thats a 10% chance.

Do you know the percentages? Just asking not being a smart ass

It's probably a pretty small percentage. Plus there are more dangerous jumps than others. This guy was doing something very dangerous.

That was pretty intense. God bless those people who helped him and "breathed for him".

I was incredibly impressed on how calm he was. That "breathe for me" line was crazy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread